• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1955 Reo Deuce Gasser Carb Conversion

J Chandler

My '55 Reo 6 cyl gasser is in need of a carb swap. I've tried to find another Holley 852 FFG like it has on it now but I've had no luck. My governor is not hooked up so I don't need one with a gov. Are there any carbs that would be suitable direct fit? My carb has a 4 bolt flange.

Mastertech

I dont know for sure. Mostly because I havnt accually tried it myself, but What I was thinking is if I decide to use civilian dist. and carb I would look at the carter or
rochester 2 bbl from the mid to late 60 used on the small blocks from GM and Mopar they both have similar size bolt patterns that should fit the manifold. The carb from the GMC 211 duece is the same as the OA331 that is in your Gasser. I would think that these would be a good choice. Does anyone else have any Ideas? I dont know what Major Tom uses when he goes away from military carb and dist. when he changes his trucks over. He might be the guy to ask.

M215

The correct carb for the Reo and GMC M211 is the Holley 885FFG. To the best of my under standing they are the same carb. The linkage is reversed since the Reo' carb is on the RH and the GMC is on the LH. I have been running a Reo carb on my GMC for 10 years. The carbs are marked on the data tag either G749 or G742. The 885FFG is a very common 50s civy carb, they show up on ebay along with rebuild kits.
Karl

JasonS

I have found that the GMC and REO carbs have slightly different jets. Forget about the 885FFG and get a modern Holley 2300 series 2bb. The economaster is the best and has excellent driveability. Use a large holley to rochester adapter available at any speed shop.

J Chandler

I took hndrsonj's advice & called Antelope Valley Truck Parts. They had the right carb & also a nos master cylinder I was needing. I thought the price was fair as well. They'll be at my door step Monday.

J Chandler

Well new carb showed up today. It's alot different than what I had. The one I received has a side air inlet & the original has a top air inlet. Turns out my '55 Reo is a civilian model with an international engine. The new carb won't work because when I sit it on the manifold the air inlet faces the lf fender instead of the firewall. The linkage is different too. I need to find an adapter of some sort or try to find a different carb.

neilstruck

Jason how much cfm for gasser? 350 or 500? i just bought gasser truck with the holley ffg. tried rebuild worked but accerator pump passage plugged solid!I cant get it to work correctly. so i am going with your idea looks good i am holley dbl pumper man myself so should be cake walk was looking for way out of that old mil carb. any idea what power valve to use also? Neilstruck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks