• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1956 Dodge Deuce and a Half

soldier28

I have a Dodge deuce and a half and cant seem to find any parts for it. It has civilian style cab and front clip it was a water truck. I can not seem to find any info on this truck but every surplus company parts company I talk to wants to buy it. I do a google image search for it and cannot find a single picture but images for a m-37. Has anyone ever heard of these trucks I know one other gentleman that has one it was an army aircorp/airforce snowblower. Pictures will be coming as I am going home next week and will take pictures of the truck and information plate.

soldier28

very similar but wrong nomenclature as mine says 600 on data plate and year is 1956. Being rare is why people keep throwing money at me to buy it I guess. I really need help finding the engine for it and and it wasnt originally a water truck. it was turned into a water truck. It had two data plates but the fellow i bought the truck lost the original data plate before it was turned into a water truck so I am just going to turn it into a road tractor i have a 40s austin fifth wheel from another build i did for a friend.

soldier28

It is a conventional and has been bobbed and has 2 axles so I have to have the frame stretched back to original specs and get new twin screws for the rear to turn it back to three axle truck.the only picture i have is one my mother took while I was still at Ft Drum so i could see the truck as i bought the truck sight unseen. Any help on finding parts i would appreciate it. I need to find the proper motor for the year as it has a 70s 318 bolted to the original tranny with pro for winch or whatever.

tamangel

I seem to remember that the yellow PW was a conversion done by Vintage PW's or someone else..I don't think yours has that type of cab on it as they only went on W300's (1 Ton) and below.. also, the truck on the trailer is a Dodge T223/WC62/63.. does yours say Power Wagon on it?

mike w

Last edited:

tamangel

was it a 6x6 originally? has a front diff currently...? or a 6X4.. or a regular civi cab like in the Dodge truck book I noted before? I looked at your vid..looks like a regular civi truck..maybe yours was a reg civi truck that was just used by the military? Should have same specs as civilian dodge models of that year and size.. what differences are there in yours from a civi model?

mike W

Last edited:

soldier28

was 6x6 originally but is now 2 wheel drive im looking to get the frame lengthened and find twin screws for the rear and the proper transfer case and front axle for it but is proving to be very difficult

tamangel

look on this site..tons of pics and alot from other countries..http://www.flickr.com/groups/dodgeheavytrucks/pool/page1/ did see a later Navy tractor..but with twin read duals on each of the 2 axles..(10 wheels total) but not 6x6..

In that Dodge book, 1956 seems to be the first year of a Dodge 2 ton All Wheel Drive truck production, but 4x4 ..Find no mention of any 6x6's made that year.. 1956 was the last year of that style of front end also.. I did see mention in the 1957 area of that book of a unit called the 'Special Equipment Group -SEG' (within Dodge) which was responsible for a great number of special order trucks..maybe yours..? A vin should help your research and more pics of course..

Take care, mike W

Last edited:

deathrowdave

Surprise !!! I just saw that same truck in a salvage yard in SE Ohio !!! W500 Dodge 318 Poly engine , strangest front axle I have ever seen in a truck . PM and I will try to locate the owners phone number for you

tamangel

S28, Take a ton of pics, including all emblems and data plates, vin plaque, etc..plus body details.. turning into a fun mystery..

also, first year of production for the 318 was 1957..but only used by Plymouth in 57/58..then shared with other divisions starting in 1959..

Mike W

Last edited:

tamangel

Surprise !!! I just saw that same truck in a salvage yard in SE Ohio !!! W500 Dodge 318 Poly engine , strangest front axle I have ever seen in a truck . PM and I will try to locate the owners phone number for you
Dave..i guess no pic's..? and was that truck a 1956..and a 6x6 or 4x4?

Mike W

soldier28

S28, Take a ton of pics, including all emblems and data plates, vin plaque, etc..plus body details.. turning into a fun mystery..

also, first year of production for the 318 was 1957..but only used by Plymouth in 57/58..then shared with other divisions starting in 1959..

Mike W
thats why i said the 318 is the wrong motor the right motor for the w series trucks on the civilian side pre 1963 is a 350 hemi motor alot of the civilian motors were taken for street rod projects i only know this cause i am a huge mopar fan and that is one of the reasons behind me buying the truck 1 its military 2 it was a mopar military truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks