• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1957 M62 Wrecker New Owner, Engine Swap and Mech Q

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the input Red, Gimpy, and Ferro.

I read somewhere that my massive engine makes something like 220 hp, which I think is better than any other engine from that era. My thinking would be to investigate the cost and benefit of going with a newer diesel unit with better power and better fuel economy. Not sure if that is realistic or not.

I think my max realistic radius for offering backhoe services would be something like 40 miles or so.

What would a good 6CTA swap cost? Is that the best option? I think it only makes sense for me if I can pull it off for a grand or so, unless I get more serious about the whole idea.

Backhoe is a 1981 Case 580D.

Thanks Again,

John
The 602 is a good engine. Staying close to home it is fast enough,(stay off the big roads). My gasser with the 5 speed direct drive transmission has pulled long grades in 5th gear that my deuces have required a downshift to 4th.

A link to a 5 ton drag race for you enjoyment! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bfWBqLRUxY

Last edited:

JohnSemperFi

Fluids so far are over $300 lol

Oil change with 2 NAPA 1503 filters and 5 gallons of 15w-40: $100
1 gallon of DOT 5 brake fluid: $110
9 gallons of 85w-140 gear oil: $115

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
John, thats nothing so far.
Wait till you burst a hose on the boom. The fittings are non-standard so I had them cut off the stock threads and braze on a pipe thread, so now a hose replacement will be about $40 compared to having the adapter made, $100(each hose).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks