• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1958 Hobart self propelled 400 amp DC stick welder

BEEMAC

I recently acquired a 1958 self propelled welding cart. The cart itself has. Hobart badge on it. The cart has a 3 speed transmission. The welder works very nicely and has very low hours on it.

This unit was acquired from an arsenal, so it is NOT a military piece of gear, yet it is direct support gear. Very cool find I thought I should share with ya'll.

BEEMAC

I will take some more pictures of it when I get home. you are seeing the front with the electrode side lead.

I should mention it has a Chrysler flathead (appears to be 3 cylinder, though some people who have looked at it believe it to be a 6 cylinder) engine. Its currently running a touch on the rich side and I need to adjust the carb to lean it out some, but it has seen so little use in the past 55 years, I just wanted to run it a bit first. I have not measured the leads on it, but probably 50 feet worth of electrode lead and 75 feet of ground lead.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Totally NOT what I had pictured in my mind. That is so much more awesome!! :D

A few more photos would be great.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now THAT'S a welder.

If it were at a rally it would be counted as a military vehicle as it was used in the Army. Just like flight line vehicles used by the Air Force.

Chainbreaker

That is waaaay cool! Looks to be in amazingly good condition given its age. Not what I expected to see either. Base on the info in your first post I was thinking of some sort of battery driven welder cart of but couldn't figure out why it would need a 3 speed transmission. Yes, more pictures are in order!

Artisan

1958 was a very good year, especially for those
of us whom shared the same water/air/environment
as Albert Einstein and wife did.

Looks like $8K easy to me if it is all there and working,
pending more pics of course.

Keith_J

Very cool. Or hot, if you are in the HAZ.

My MEP 002A rides on a 4 wheel cart, steering too. With a 500 watt 24 volt electric motor driving a two speed transaxle for about 3 MPH top speed. The front wheels steer with a wagon type handle and steering. A simple directional control switch controls the motor.
I use it primarily to power my Miller Dynasty 200DX welder but at only 200 amperes. Works fine for light off road stuff but nothing like yours.

Building fences is easy with mobile power. Too bad the 1031 SECM has more in the compressed air. Plenty to drive my T post driver, an air powered thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks