• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1958 M56 Brake part--what is it?

MajRJO1967

I purchased replacement brake lines for my 1958 M56, However, there is a part installed in the system that is not familiar to me, and the replacement lines do not use this item. I have a copy of a 1950 M37 tech manual depicting the brake lines and this part is not included in the diagrams. Was this something added at a later date? Anybody know what this is, and where I can get one?

Reply to m56b1ww@yahoo.com

Thanks!
RJO

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mico-lock parking brake. All the G749 GMC deuces have that also.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has a switch on the dash. You turn on the switch, mash the brakes, and the brakes stay applied even though your foot releases the pedal. To release the brakes, you turn off the switch. The old 5 ton wreckers have them too.

MajRJO1967

A friend and I did think it was a proportioning valve, but I thought they were adjustable? I also thought it may be a pressure reducer/increaser type mechanism, which I think is another way of saying "proportioning valve."

When I removed it didn't use double flare fittings. It was atttached using slip on nut/ferrules. The rest of the brake system was double flare, so I'm thinking this was added on lat a later date, but I'm not sure if this was an approved modification, or just a "good idea" from a previous owner (the local volunteer fire department).

RJO

MajRJO1967

M880,

Thanks, but I don't recall seeing a swith on the dash, and there weren't any leads coming from the "thing." It's a mystery, but with this truck, that's no surprise! It's been a four-year resto journey so far. Thanks for the help.

RJO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks