• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1959 m139 Bridge truck

evilk

Done tons of searching and there is a lot of useful information on here but have some unanswered questions still. Truck seams to have a ridiculous turning radius. Its not that I'm unfamiliar with big trucks, I have had a few. Nothing with full time 6x6 ..... but I can't make most corners on back roads? Is that normal? Like to be more clear, I have to back up to make the turn at most back road intersections. There tight but nothing I cant do with my 7500 and the 25 foot lowboy. Is this indicating some kind of problem or to be expected?

My breaks are strange, hit the pedal once and it can feel like pretty normal breaking. The next time the pedal can be an unmovable object. Was kind of scary the first time but i found that if i really push on it HARD it will give way all the sudden and grab like crazy? Haven't had much time to work on truck yet, but i guess that's what happens when you work 2 full time jobs... figured some input from you guys could save me time when i do get to it.

I have a disconnected water fording lever. What did that do?

Sorry for writing a book but so you know I had to cut me off, could definitely keep going with more questions :-D

thanks

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brake issue sounds like an air-pack problem...at least that is where I would start. In terms of the turning radius, it is tough to tell without driving the truck, but I have never experienced anything like that, even in my LWB cargos. Those trucks have the same chassis, I believe, as your truck. I am not sure where Maine, NY is. If you care near JATONKA, D8DAVE, DOGHEAD, or one of the other Upstate NY crew, I am sure someone could give you their opinion on the steering.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You checked the steering stops? Does an arm hit on something? My wrecker has metal cut out where they put the newer power steering on. Maybe that happened to your truck and they didn't clearance the metal? I agree with the airpack, try squirting some tool oil in the back of the can.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How do you like the truck? Got one near me I could pick up. I DON'T NEED ANOTHER TRUCK. I DON'T NEED ANOTHER TRUCK. I DON'T NEED ANOTHER TRUCK. Maybe I might start to believe myself if I say it enough.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, get it! The bridge trucks are hard to come by. You should be able to get it fairly cheaply if it is a gasser (and because it is overwidth). Personally, I'd like to find an M812 or M945, but money is tight these days!

evilk

How do I like the truck... well it doesn't run right yet and its hard to drive .. but I'm still obsessed ..... I love the truck... its not even healthy :) :wink: Thanks for the information I will let you know what I find

derby

My 812 takes alot to turn it around. I think it is due to the wheel spacers. even with it singled out, i have de-barked some trees. you could remove the spacers and run 1100x20's that would get you back to what all the other 5 ton's wheel base is. I also agree on the air pack diagnostic.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M328 Bridging trucks are just too cool. I'd risk divorce of one showed up within 100 mile of my AO for sale. An 812 would be even better but I could never afford one of those.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my 819 does not know what a sharp Conner is, anywhere it goes, it takes its 40 acres, on the o7 ga rally ,i had a few 5 point connors

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the hard pedal problem with my dump truck. I found that bleeding air out of the air pack bleeder at the top of the air/hydraulic valve on it solved the problem. The air pack has two bleeders, one at the end of the brake cylinder and one at the top, on the air/hydraulic valve. Check them both while you are under it. We have a bridge truck here for farm use. No other truck like it!.
Regards Marti

OSO

Anybody looking for one up in the Northwest ,I have one that's gota go . 16x20 on it extra parts, 14x20 tires mounted, extra cab, canvas top [new] Tan top extra carbs, airpack, fuel pump , parts to install new front wear seals call Oso [ Kevin] 360 631 1313:cry:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a hard pedal problem like you describe on another truck. If you take the cap off the master cylinder and if necessary to see the bottom of the reservoir, draw the fluid out of it with a suction device. Then you will see a pair of holes in the floor of the reservoir, a larger one to the front and a smaller one behind that one. The smaller one, if plugged by residue, will not let the pressure to the wheels bleed back to the master, resulting in the hard pedal. Use a small torch tip cleaner, wire, or other device to clear the small hole. If I remember right, it is about 1/32 inch or so in diameter. You can check to see if it is plugged by gently pushing down the pedal while watching the fluid in the reservoir. If the small port is open, you should see a momentary upsurge of fluid out of it. No surge, it is plugged. If you push the pedal too quickly, it will put fluid in your eye! Be careful!
Regards Marti

Vintage iron

Just found a gas job wrecker and a M139 bridge truck for cheap. Which should I get? The wrecker is closer. Both need work!
But they are cheap! Probably for scrap prices!

Vintage iron

I might pick up the wrecker? It is a gas engine, so I doubt it runs. The bridge truck is way up in VT. if it runs and drives. I might try to get it home. But, the bridge truck is class B license and oversized truck. It will take some extra paperwork to get it home to Massachusetts. Money is tight, but I hate to see these go to the scrapper!