• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1960 Curtis-Wright m35a2

Haroldmac

First of all i have really learned a lot from this site, Thanks for all the knowledge that is on this site. I have been looking at m35s for about 6 months now. trying to talk myself out of one but not doing a good job at it. I really think i want to buy one bobbed of bob it myself. I have found a 1960 Curtis-Wright m35a2. It had a Cummings motor. Any input on the truck would be appreciated. Thanks Mac

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure it's a Cummins? If so, I'd like to know what engine model number.

There were a couple of prototypes that were repowered with Cummins but Cummins engines were never used in production. So either you have one of the rare prototypes or some shade tree mechanic has shoehorned one in there.

Haroldmac

Are you sure it's a Cummins? If so, I'd like to know what engine model number.

There were a couple of prototypes that were repowered with Cummins but Cummins engines were never used in production. So either you have one of the rare prototypes or some shade tree mechanic has shoehorned one in there.
I will talk to the owner tomorrow, That is what he told me that was in it. Maybe he dont know, lol. will update when i find out. Thanks for the response.

Haroldmac

ok talked with owner today and he said engine is a white with turbo. said its diesel only. does anyone know if this would be a good choice for a M35A2? its already been bobbed.

sandcobra164

If you're looking for a bobber and it meets your needs, then go for it. I prefer a 3 axle Deuce and would be a little worried buying one that someone else pieced together. I tend to trust my own work a little more than the work of others. Just like any other vehicle, you need to check it over top to bottom and check for leaks, good oil pressure, smooth shifting of the gears, hub temperatures after a drive, etc. Also look for rust in the sheet metal, specifically in the front corners of the cab and where the cowl meets the windshield. Since it's bobbed, did he use a M105 trailer bed or did he cut down the original? I prefer the cut down bed look instead of the M105 bed but that's just a personal preference of mine. People tend to like them both ways.

welldigger

ok talked with owner today and he said engine is a white with turbo. said its diesel only. does anyone know if this would be a good choice for a M35A2? its already been bobbed.
If it's a white then chances are it's an ldt 465-1d. It's still a multifuel. Sometimes when the military bypassed the fuel density compensater they would stencil somewhere on the truck "diesel fuel only." However, it's still a multifuel engine and can still be run on multiple fuels.

Haroldmac

Thanks for the info. he used a 105 and did it himself. I will go look at it next week. I have priced the bigger tires and knowing i will have that much more in it to do what i want to do. he said only rust is surface rust on bed. he stated it did leak small amount of oil also. Thinking about doing 53 inch tires but might be too much tire, They look good but its important to be able to stop also. Thanks again for the info.