• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1960's M101 Wheel Bearing ?s

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1962 M101 and need to inspect and repack the wheel bearings. The available TMs here and elsewhere online are for the later models that use the simple bearing cup grease cap, not unlike the modern M116's or what have you.
The older model has a 6 bolt cap in the middle of the spindle. It has no surge brakes, only parking brakes.
Q: am I correct to assume that I should 1) remove the wheel (after jacking and chocking as necessary) and then 2) remove the 6 nuts/bolts and then I will 3) see the retaining nuts and spindle hardware to take off the hub?
I searched this site, and could find assembled pics, and disassembled pics, but no in-between pics. (Searching "M101 Wheel Bearing" here turns up about a million hits, I couldn't make it through them all!)

I don't want to screw it up and risk not being able to use it Friday going down to Graves Mountain Rally.

Many thanks,
Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And while we’re at it, is it possible to just remove the center cap and inspect and repack the bearing without removing the tire?
Thanks
Bdgr

McGuyver

And while we’re at it, is it possible to just remove the center cap and inspect and repack the bearing without removing the tire?
Thanks
Bdgr
I don't remember exactly what the recommended practice is from the TM, however I believe you could get away with doing this. I had an A1 axle (I've since converted to an A2 axle) and the bearings and retaining nut are right under that bolted plate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks McGuyver, I'll see how one goes tearing it all apart and maybe try just removing the wheel and hub as a unit the second one.
BDGR

McGuyver

Sorry, I thought you were just going to pack some grease in there, and nothing else. If you plan on removing the entire hub in the process, then it would probably be easier to take the wheel off first.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this link for tm:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/trailer/TM9-2330-202-14&P.pdf

Hub/drum has a snap ring holding bearing in. Make sure to use a good snap ring pliers. Bearings are common items. Seal is civy but most parts stores would have to order in. Outer hub plate gasket is the same as m37 / dodge power wagons or use good rtv and clean well.

You will need a deep socket or a spindle nut socket to remove.

DeadParrot

Do you have the 2-9/16" 8pt socket to undo the nut inside the hub? Otherwise you will likely only be able to look at the outer bearing grease and listen as it spins. IIRC, I got bearings, seal and socket via Autozone but the bearings were not under M101 but some weird vehicles. There are times when a full paper X-reference tome would be useful.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the 2-9/16" 8pt socket to undo the nut inside the hub? Otherwise you will likely only be able to look at the outer bearing grease and listen as it spins. IIRC, I got bearings, seal and socket via Autozone but the bearings were not under M101 but some weird vehicles. There are times when a full paper X-reference tome would be useful.
DP, No I did not have a socket large enough. 1.5" is the biggest I have on hand. I'd hoped to be able to do more, but even so as you note I did open up each hub and inspect visually and with my ears. Both sounded fine, with grease still present, and I squirted some more Lucas green n tacky in for peace of mind. I expect they will be fine. This does not relieve me of getting my hands on the correct socket, seals and bearings and making sure she is properly and fully serviced this Fall. I should have already done so, shortly after taking possession, but I let life get in the way.

I appreciate the help gents!

Bulldogger

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DeadParrot is exactly correct. You do need that 2-9/16" 8 point socket to remove the spindle nuts. You may also want to buy a new gasket for the hub flange (or use RTV silicone, but I prefer the gasket).

Here's a few pictures of a 1960 pioneer tool trailer that I used to own (same 3/4 ton frame and axle as an M101 "A0")
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Tool-Trailer&p=1840615&viewfull=1#post1840615

The matching bearings and gaskets will likely come from similar era civilian Dodge trucks (like also said earlier, these older trailers share some parts with the Dodge M37s). And you may find matching parts at https://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/

For example, here was a matching hub flange gasket that I purchased:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Tool-Trailer&p=1845684&viewfull=1#post1845684

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Valence! Good gouge there. Much appreciated. I will definitely pull the hubs all the way apart this Fall, and replace all seals and gaskets as a matter of precaution. She shouldn't need anything after that for a long time. Very solid trailer. I am still tickled at the quality and price point.
The hub gaskets were old and dried, but still did their jobs. I gave them a thin coat of grease and put them back on for now. I intend to either replace them with newer material, or maybe use some of that red anaerobic sealant I have on hand for the HMMWV hubs. It's pretty good stuff, though of course it isn't friendly to open/inspect, so perhaps I will not use it.
I'll log it in the "What have you done..." thread when I make time for it.
Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks