• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1962 M37B1 at Ft. Chaffee

combat32

Here is a truck that is still sorta on active duty(still on the property book anyway). A friend of mine used to be the commander of Ft. Chaffee before he retired, first showed me this truck about 10 years ago. They did a decent restoration on it maybe 15 years ago, but since my friend retired the younger folks have no interest in it and it will probably rot into the ground right where it sits.

I still have a few contacts there so went to see it today, it has been stored outside now for 3 or 4 years and is starting to go downhill pretty quick. When my friend used to be the S-4 at Chaffee I would go by to visit and we would fire up the 37 and bomb around post just for fun. I bet it has been 8 years since it last ran. Took a few pics and thought I would share them here.

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What unit still has that on their property book? Seems like if they're going to let it rot they should turn it in so it can go to auction and find a loving home. Perhaps your retired Colonel or BG friend can convince them to just turn it it.

combat32

What unit still has that on their property book? Seems like if they're going to let it rot they should turn it in so it can go to auction and find a loving home. Perhaps your retired Colonel or BG friend can convince them to just turn it it.
Tried that, no dice, the National Guard museum in Little Rock has expressed an interest in it, so it will continue to rot here until they decide to move it there, where it will continue to rot outside the museum like all their other display vehicles.:x

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Notify the DoD IG or National guard IG about the fraud, waste, and abuse. Perhaps they'll prompt the state AG to initiate an investigation and keep that old iron from rotting away.

nattieleather

That will just cause it to sit longer and rot and then the outcome will be to send it to DRMO where it will get sold as scrap and someone with an ax to grind will classify it a HMMWV and the thing will have to be mutilated. Just how stupid things like that go.