• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1962 Studebaker M35 with large turbo and exhaust

Cannoncocker

Last week while crawling around 5+ acres of military trucks out in the desert I came across one that I've never seen before. The original data plate says it's a 1962 Studebaker. It has a multi-fuel with a turbo? What stood out about this truck was the turbo was almost twice the size of a regular M35a2 C or D and the exhaust was a full 4" in diameter and exited between the rear wheels like a gasser? Everything looks original to this truck and not a cheap afterthought. My guess is there are 75 or more M35 series trucks in this yard including at least 15 original gassers (I know, We bought one and drove it home) around 20 M35 non-turbos and the rest later turbo models. I hope to have photo up next week. Perhaps it more wishful thinking on my part but if that huge turbo is matched up to the pump on that engine then it should really up the HP in my deuce? Your input is always welcome. John.

Cannoncocker

Are plan is to return next week and I will get a closer look at this thing. I'm not up to speed on the LDS 427 but I will be before we return. Thanks for the heads up.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's origional a 1962 should be a M35A1. As mentioned above it would have the 427 (which is pretty rare).

Cannoncocker

I don't like to rub the sand and dirt off of original data plates if I can avoid it. Next trip up I will have a spray bottle with water with me. All I could make out was the name Studebaker, the DOD 1962 and M35? There are so many trucks in this yard I would have walked past this one if it hadn't been for that cannon of an exhaust sticking out. Makes a gasser exhaust look small. All of the trucks in this yard came directly from the military and have never been in monkeyed with. My guess is the 427 wasn't that powerful even with the large turbo and the next step was the 465. Big turbo, Big exhaust, I was hoping for a hot rod motor! After driving the 1957 gasser home it made my M35a2 feel like a missile. Thanks, John

DavidWymore

Cannoncocker, first off, howdy neighbor. Did you ever make it back and get more pics? I saw this truck too and later learned that I have an A1, want to go back and look at it very thoroughly.

DavidWymore

I know where this truck is and will be revisiting it with a fine toothed comb. Owner wants to restore it, maybe I'll get involved.

image.jpg

Regarding 427 power, everyone says they are more powerful, but the numbers say otherwise. I wonder if it's how they are tuned, more power coming in sooner giving more seat of the pants feel. Smaller bore, maybe higher compression?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks