• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1962 White M35 multifuel

jreintges

I am the maintenance person for a M35 that has been made into a brush truck for my local fire station and there are issues we are having troubles with. I just now downloaded the manuals for the M35 but was wondering if someone could possible give a few pointers. Right now it has a used multi fuel engine that was put in the truck this past summer. The original engine threw a rod and was not repairable. The new engine has very little power but does a great job at killing mosquitos with all the exhaust fumes it is putting out. Is there any tricks that can reduce emissions and possibly boost the power? any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start by checking the breathing of the engine. Check the air filter and make sure the turbosupercharger is spooling up. If all is well here, replace all the fuel filters (all 3) and do the fuel density compensator (FDC) bypass. Does the engine run evenly? A valve adjustment would be a good idea. Also, with 2000 or more gallons of water, these trucks are not speedy to begin with. The LDS465 and LD465 tend to smoke a good bit, the LDTs not so much.

jreintges

thanks for the info

Thank you for the info. I will start with those things and let you know what I find. The reason I added the power issue is because it has had the tank reduced to 600 gallons and even empty it cannot climb hills at all with out being in 2nd gear and it doesn't matter the size of the hill.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was that "mosquito"-killer a "running" takeout engine? Does it smoke a lot, even when idling?
I'm thinking someone eventually pulled the IP and then installed it wrong?

G.

danielemccorkle

I have a 1962 m35 the 1992 multifuel Hercules engine I am doing a head gasket on I need torque specs if somebody has them please

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have a 1962 m35 the 1992 multifuel Hercules engine I am doing a head gasket on I need torque specs if somebody has them please
You can find all the torque specs in the TM's here:

Main page for the deuce:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?113-The-Deuce-TMs

Most of the main TMs:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77607-TM-s-for-the-Deuce

The TM9-2320-209-34-2-1 will outline the head gasket pattern and steps to torque them down.

Page 2-72 specifically.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Make sure you note there is 2 different torque numbers you might use!

One is for a thick deck block one is for the non-thick deck block.

DavidWymore

gringeltaube,
It does have some lugging when running slowly but when it is up to speed then it is hard to tell.
Does it have a turbo...? Any chance we could see pics of the engine, especially the tag on the passenger side? What year is the engine? Truck is a '62 or the new engine is a '62?

jreintges

The engine data plate is un readable so I do not know what year the engine is but I am almost positive that it does not have a turbo. I will post some pictures on Tuesday when I am back up at the station. I have tried to post a picture on this email but it will not let me on the message so I have placed one in my picture folder of it running at an idle with very little exhaust smoke. If the truck was under power you probably wouldn't see the fire truck behind it.

dmetalmiki

Check the fuel pump settings. These normally aspirated engines smoke like the devil anyway. Our M45 fire truck went like a train, and smoked like one. We fitted a turbo, Now it goes like 2 trains! less smoke, sounds fantastic. Fastest truck in our fleet. With or Without water!

DavidWymore

62 Fire Truck.jpg

I suspected as much, probably an LD (not LDT, T=Turbo) non turbo truck from an early A2. The non turbo engines smoked, were kinda low on power (but probably shouldn't be that slow) and they added turbos later with the A2s to clean up the smoke. I was with a convoy this weekend and the non turbo truck smoked a lot more than the rest.

If it's a '62, it should be an M35A1 with the LDS 427, which had a turbo, but smoked a lot and was supposed to make good power...but was unreliable in the headgasket department. A1s had horizontal exhaust, not a vertical stack like A2s, and I don't see a stack on yours. I wonder if the military ever updated it to A2, or if it got out of the military before being updated. I'd be interested in seeing more pics of it, interior, dash etc.

Does it idle smooth or have a "burble" to it? Can you hear valve tick? Here is mine after valve adjustment. Has turbo, but I think yours should sound pretty smooth too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AmtSLRfmFQ

One way or another, smoke means more fuel than air, and low power with smoke, probably more of the same thing. These other guys are more experienced, (esp with non turbo engines) and could probably comment as to turning up the fuel for more power, but that's just going to be more smoke. I imagine a turbo could probably be added to that engine, but the injection pump might have to be changed or retuned to match.

I don't know what kind of funding you have available, but an upgrade to a Cummins 5.9 might not be a bad idea. More $, but newer, lighter, more powerful, modern, available parts people are familiar with...but no cheap or easy task to acccomplish. At that point, replacing the whole truck might be more cost effective.

Barring that, this forum can help you get that truck running like a top. :)

http://www.hanksdeuce.com/cummins_engine_install.htm

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, if its a non-turbo, you can add one. If you decide to add one, I might be able to gather all needed parts for you. Just send a PM when ready.

dmetalmiki

Ours had the low horrizontal exhaust system, which was changed when the turbo was added. The power in the engine was slighter better than troop carriers I noted. And then with the addition of the turbo it was more powerfull, and more economical, using less throttle for the same requirments as before.

Attachments