• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1962 White M35 multifuel

jreintges

There is a stack on this truck but it is hard to see in this picture. I have added some engine pics to the folder. The fuel adjustment is suppose to be near the "fuel rail" under a plate that has 2 screws that are lock wired together but I cannot find this plate. The only plate that has 2 screws also has a cable running into it also. I have not traced the cable to see where it goes to yet so I am not sure if this is the right place to adjust the fuel settings. I know I should loosen the jam nut and screw the set screw in about 1/2 a turn then run the truck and see if there is an improvement. does this sound right/

stb64

The adjustment for the fuel stop is right in front of the FDC under a cover. The bolts are usually safety wired and sealed.
Remove lockwire, 2 bolts, and cover. You will now see a short piece of threaded rod sticking out, with 2 nuts on it.
One is a locknut, the other is the fuel stop adjustment nut. Loosen the locknut, but make sure you do not twist the threaded rod. This is important. Doing so would break it off.
You will need a thin 1/2 open end wrench to hold the adjusting nut while loosening the locknut with another wrench. If you dont't have a thin wrench, buy one or grind one down.
When the lock nut is loosened, increase fuel by turning the adjusting nut to the right. Do not turn it more than 1/3 of a turn without checking engine performance.
As little as a third of a turn will make a huge difference. By turning the fuel up too much, you risk melting your pistons.

It is also possible to increase max. fuel by opening the FDC cover and inserting washers or quarters, on top of the spring. This is the unofficial G.I. method. Soldiers used it because the FDC cover is not sealed, and this unauthorized modification cannot be detected by maintenance inspectors without opening the cover. It only works when the FDC is not bypassed. With the FDC bypassed, the piston is always in the lowest position, so you already have the maximum fuel that can be obtained using this method.

DavidWymore

Then there's the guy who put a control cable through the top plate of the FDC so he could adjust it on the fly.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?56010-Adjust-FDC-on-the-fly&highlight=control+cable+FDC

If you're going to turn it up, it would be a good idea to put a pyrometer on it so you can make sure to set it so no one can burn up the engine.

The alternator mount is pretty creative, and it interesting that the fuel filters are on the firewall instead of the engine.

Kinda looks to me like that thing has fenders off an early gas engine truck. The inner fender wall would be vertical instead of slanted like the later trucks and there would be more of a flat area on top of the fender to the engine side of where the hood comes down. I think later is about 1 or 1.5" wide and early closer to 3". The early fenders are going to make injection pump access a little more difficult.

I'd love to see more pics of the truck, interior, data plate, etc.

Here is a tag off another engine like yours.

image.jpg

Last edited:

jreintges

Hey all, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about this but had several incidents on the other firetrucks and have been chasing my tail to fix them and keep them that way. The fuel issue has been fixed on the station's M35A2. What I found is that the FDC was only partially bypassed. The fuel supply was never bypassed but everything else was. this was causing way too much fuel to be dumped in the system some how. Once I removed the fuel from the FDC and ran it straight to the air block the smoke reduced to only killing misquotes for a block vice miles and the power increased greatly. I am still working on all the screw ups from the place that put the new motor in but they are all electrical that were added for strobe lights and such. again thanks for all the help. When I buy my M35 I will keep you informed on the truck and post more pictures. If you are ever in Charlottesville area and would like to check out this truck let me know.