• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1965 m101a1 Trailer out of New Castle Del

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If it were mine, based on nothing more than the pictures, I'd tow it home. Might want to invest in an IR thermometer from Lowes and just check the hubs after a few miles. Good Luck!

2cents

Mods are gonna ding ya for the link to GL because those pictures in the link will be gone soon if you don't copy them.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trailer looks like it has been refurbished and/ or had attention. They don't look like that from the 60's. New paint and the tires look new or very good used. These trailers sit almost all their lives with very few road miles and yours looks like it.

Tow it home, she is a good keeper. All I would recommend is that you fold up that nice new rare tarp and take the bows off to give you a little less drag going down the road. Those 900x16 sit pretty high to begin with.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer looks good. I would tow it but have a backup plan in place. Get it off base and check the bearings. While it is a good idea to take them apart and repack them (so you know their status) you can jack the tire off the ground and wiggle the wheel to see if the hub is loose. Also check for dragging. Hit the road and check for heat at the bearings.

And for future reference, please post a picture and not the GL/GP link

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:

• Do not post links to auction photos.
• Do not post links to GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA(or other sites)that have links that quit working after a short period of time. Save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.

HFDm715

I bought one out of fort Meade a couple years ago and towed it home, it is a 67 with 67 dated tires. I would Jack it up and check for play,and two it home, I left the tarp and racks on mine , but whatever works for you.

Good luck and congrats

Duane

m109a2

I agree with FMJ on the if thermometer .Last year drove my deuce and trailer home over a thousand miles,checking for brake drag and bearing heat.No problems.Al

Ratch

I bought one out of fort Meade a couple years ago and towed it home, it is a 67 with 67 dated tires. I would Jack it up and check for play,and two it home, I left the tarp and racks on mine , but whatever works for you.

Good luck and congrats

Duane

I've bought a few with 1960's tires, too. I'm amazed they're not rotted, but I wouldn't trust them with a load. Those trailers I typically sold for what they cost me, and warn the buyer about the dangers in mounting split ring rims like modern ones.

Op, your FJ should have no problem towing it. I'd second the motion to have a backup plan in place, and watch the bearing temps. But it does you no good to be sitting on the side of the road with hot wheel bearings and no way to get it home. If you can't come up with a good failover plan, you might be best off going to get it with a one day flat deck trailer rental.

Edit...did it again...this thread is over his ten day recovery window, unless he worked it out to take longer...

Last edited:

bigbe5678

Hi Everyone I will be picking up the trailer out of New Castle on Tues/30 at 9am Thanks for the great advice I will let you guys know how I make out n Best Mike

bigbe5678

Hi EveryoneI picked up the m101a1 1965 trailer out of New castle yesterday. It all went well without a hitch The people down are super my son and I were the only ones there so we had plenty of time to check the tires and frame etc.The tarp and bows looked brand new it had a new paint job. The tires were hardly used but they were old and had small side cracks.The trailer towed straight and got home safely.New Castle had a huge dirt field with only about six 5 ton trucks randomly parked. Looked kind of sad out there out by them self’s.I want to thank all the advice from the people on steel solders that made this trip possible you guys are DA Bomb Best to all

Last edited by a moderator:

reset2

Just an idea for other recoveries. I now pack a grease gun with a point adapter and a cordless drill with a 1/8 drill bit. Coat the drill bit with a layer of grease. This way the grease will trap the shavings on the bit not the inside of the hub and drill the center of the hubcap. Pump in enough grease (guessimate) to lube the dry bearing. This way you can possibly get home or a safe place to plan a repair, if the bearings get hot on the road. Just an idea.

I have pulled many things out of New Castle. Great bunch of GL people there. To bad GL lost the rolling stock because New Castle was only about 125 miles from home and much better than the security of Meade.

bigbe5678

I know what you mean.... From the looks of New Castle there must have been some great finds auctioned off back in the day I also live apx 120 miles north of New castle I wonder if GP has any lots near by

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks