• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1965 M35A2 Air compressor/governor question

lucite

A couple months ago I bough t a 1965 M35A2 and I am now in the process of getting everything back into working order. So I noticed someone had removed the air line from the air governor to the compressor which I imagine once pressure builds up sends pressure to the compressor and "shuts it off". On my particular truck it has a 0-120 psi air pressure gauge and when the air line was disconnected the system would pressure up to 120 then the air governor would vent the pressure and go back down to 60 psi. My question is now that I put in a new line how can you tell if the compressor "shuts off" and also should the air governor be set to activate at 80-90 psi or the current 120.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good working governor will cycle regularly depending air demand/ leaks and make your AP fluctuate somewhere between 120 and 100 psi. Amplitude of cycles will depend on what type of gov. you have.
I would consider 90psi as a minimum, and try to adjust accordingly if it goes below that.

G.

Sapper55

Hello G'Taube,
I'm Sapper and I live in North Alabama, USA. I noticed that you responded to a question a while back (2012 "Lucite") concerning air pressure problem in an M35A2 system. I am having a little bit of a problem with my 1970 A2C model, in that it pegs the air pressure gauge at +120 psi. The system is constantly unloading every 3 to 4 seconds and I'm not sure if I'm going to have a system failure if I can't get the pressure regulated. I tried to adjust the regulator on the firewall inside the engine compartment to about 110 psi but to no effect. Any ideas? I appreciate your reply.
Respectfully, Sapper

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are at least 4 different governor brands/makes out there, used on our Deuces. Some are a bit more "tricky" to work on than others, but they all are adjustable.
Any pics of what model you have? or check this picture and try to identify yours.

If nothing helps, buy a new one; they are not so expensive and it sure will save you time and headaches.

G.