• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1965 M52A2,EX Air Force truck?

AMGeneral

While I was out working under the hood of the M52A2,I noticed some Strata Blue paint along the edges of the 383 green CARC,I checked in a few more places and it was everywhere under the current CARC and a layer of 24087.

It is VERY clean and un modified from what I can tell,that may also account for the OD trans vs a direct.

Is it possible I have an ex AF M52A2 tractor?

Wonder what the AF would do with a 5 ton tractor?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wonder what the AF would do with a 5 ton tractor?
When I was at Fort Benning we had some 48 foot drop deck lowboys that had AF paint and markings under the camo. We always referred to them as "the Air Force trailers". It would stand to reason if they had tactical trailers they had tactical tractors to pull them with.

You might check with the AF Military History folks at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, AL and see if they can give you some info.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Air Force had to move stuff around, too. What would it be used for? Fuel tanker hauling, towing missiles and control vans, any number of things. Remember, the M52 tractor was used during the height of the Cold War. Just use your imagination of what your truck was responsible for during our "war" with Mother Russia....

ryan77

Now i really want that old m52a2 truck in LA!! That it was a Air Force truck is near and dear to me!!!!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More blue paint

Don't think this is related, but whilst restoring the front end of my 816, I found a dark blue on the front winch, on top of the yellow etch primer (the winch is cast aluminium), and under many coats of OD and sand. Also the cable tensioner was originally white.

Why would Garwood go for a non mil colour when supplying so many units?....

Back to thread. I would love to see an M52 in USAF blue. Subscribed!