• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1966 10 ton M123-A1C....Dirt71

Dirt71

This was on ebay a month or so back and never sold, the seller was good enough not relist it and wait for me to get my funding in order. It arrived this week from Detroit Michigan...nice complete truck just some minor mechanical issue's to take care of and a good paint job and it will be a really nice one. Previous owner had owned it for 30yrs purchasing it from Clark Truck Equipment in West Virginia back in the day who of course bought at government auction...this one is truly a diamond in the ruff, when Clark Truck bought it from auction it had just gone through rebuild receiving new engine\transmission and brake's... the previous owner used only within the confine's of his plant facility moving product around never using more than 1st and 2nd gear. It's only showing 271 mile's with 11hrs... because it sat more than he used in that environment with freezing winter's month's at a time for 30yrs the injector pump became a problem which he just had rebuilt just before the sale. It run's really nice and has very nice throttle response...only thing is it's showing alot of white smoke being injector issue's but does clear up just a little as it run's going to try running Stanadine in the fuel I'm told is a good product to use and may take care of the problem, but if not I have a new set of injector's to swap out worst case.

Attachments

Dirt71

Stretched this girl out yesterday morning....it has not see more than 15mph in over 30yrs.... put in 30 gallon's of fuel, changed oil and filter's and I went with Stanadyne for fuel additive...ran it around pretty good for an hour or so and it ran flawlessly....the smoke issue has all but cleared up in just the little bit of road time it got so I'm very happy about that!!... as you may notice 2 fuel pump's are better than 1 when it come's to fueling up a 10 ton rofl

Attachments

Dirt71

I love it when people see this truck and the look of disbelief and confusion on there face's is priceless...the question most asked is what are you going to do with it... are you going to drive it on the road?? Well hell yeah, drove down to the local Ace Hardware today to get some A\C filter's for my house... :D :D :D :D

Attachments

Dirt71

So yeah sad day about a month ago... cruising the 10 ton down the road and it blew a head gasket on the right side, dam nice running engine...my guess is that for the past 30yrs of previous owner abusing it to get it started with either up in Michigan in freezing and sometime's below 0 temp's was the cause....so I started the tear down to get in there and fix it...if it's in the way...move it!! And there's plenty in the way....UGH!!

Attachments

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Dirt71, sometimes the original paint goes along way with me. I like either way, fresh paint or what the service did originally. Sometimes the soul of the truck is the way service members painted or treated it. My truck, CUCV has a paint scheme that matches the base surroundings and blends very well. If it was in a summer field in Kansas you would have trouble locating it. Not the traditional paint patterns but what the motor pool or soldiers decided would hide well, surprising that they could venture away from traditional CARC paint applications.

Sometimes things happen for a reason. And quite the bummer that it happened on your watch. Different metals react to fluids or spray differently and over time the metal gets eaten away. Good luck moving forward and it looks like you have it well at hand the direction you are going. And with the repair or major it will be ready for another 30 years.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks