• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1967 A2 Has Arrived

renovate7

I' ve been Deuceless for 2 months since my A3 went to it's new owner, not a good situation. I won this truck 6/16 at Warner Robbins and it arrived Friday. It still has many of the old features. The headlights are lower, the drivers seat base is a metal box, the air buzzer is a big round thing. How did this truck make it thru with these early features? The engine has a LEAD rebuild plate dated 88...I was able to preview this before buying, a good thing. It has a lot of new parts making me think it had a recent major overhaul. The front tires are dated mid 2007. The spare still has the paper tag on it. New parts include u joints, metal/rubber brake lines, passenger side door, windshield, exhaust pipe, vinyl top and cargo cover, fibergass troop seats and a wiper motor. New bolts on the hubs make me think (hope) someone put in new seals and did a brake job. The dash is pulled and the charging gauge missing, no radium for me. Not much rust at all. I'm going to sandblast the hood and a few select other areas and give it a good repaint...I've installed 2 new batteries and it fired up. It died twice on a short trip around the block so I got new fuel filters that go in this afternoon. I can see the shiney bottom of the fuel tank thru 1.5" of fuel so don't think I have a big mess there to deal with. I am going to pull the fuel pump and inspect all that, an easy thing to do. One of my favorite tools is the 1/4" electric impact gun gun. So far I haven't found a screw or small bolt that can resist it. Anyone know which unit 81CR 287TC is?..Overall very happy here.

Attachments

Katahdin

Nice classic, mine looked alot like that and was rebuilt the same place around 5/88. They must have been built from the same pool of parts.

One question I have is, did the trucks usually go back to the same unit after the rebuild process? Carnac's record for my truck was from 1981 which matched the unit markings after it was rebuilt and went to GL.

combat32

Nice, I am partial to soft tops and still use one on mine.My 72 AMG had 0 upgrades over it's life except seat belts, it happens.

renovate7

Thought I'd add pics and keep this thread going as I progress...First question, this truck has a heavy coat of CARC. In the few places it's peeling I'm seeing a dark green smooth paint. Was this truck originally the 50's/60's darker green?... In tank fuel pump and fuel level sending unit look new. The primary fuel filter is not paper but a smooth porous white material. I can blow thru it fairly easily and didn't see any contamination so I reinstalled it. What is this filter, something milspec?... The tack cable is messed up where it goes thru the firewall causing the needle to jump but it looks like I'm idling at 700 rpm, too low? If my fuel/filters are good could this cause my stalling when I let off the accelerator?...No shift llever to engage front end, time to learn about Sprags.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you sure it is a sprag, might be a air shift, with a air switch on the bottom dash

Katahdin

Increase your idle to 800RPM using the hand throttle and see how that goes, I'd replace the filters regardless of the material.

Interesting (to me), your fuel pump fuse housing appears to have brass contact screws. Mine came with rusty steel screws, which I replaced with brass. Guess I was on the right track.

Your pump is a later pump model, like mine. On the older ones the impeller housing tended to fall apart. In my tank I found both parts to and old impeller housing and the new pump.

You filters are definitely cleaner then mine, mine were saturated with brown algae which at first I thought was rust. Not too bad in yours.

Question: Does your truck have a starter relay? (Mounted on the block above the starter) My truck did not come with a starter relay, the button is wired directly to the starter solenoid.

Motorcar

Air shift most likely....Idle @ 800 rpm, there is an adjustment screw/nut at the injector pump....check your secondary filters, just replace them while they are out, my primary was identical to yours but the two secondary filters were NASTY! What a difference in idle and drivability with three new filters. You should get plenty of fuel flow from the filter drains/bleeder with the engine off and just the electric pump running. I did too but had no idea how bad the secondary ones were.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That white filter is a re-useable one, don't throw it out. With the tank that low, I'd drain it, remove the tank, and swish some carb cleaner around in there to clean it out. Then re fill with fresh diesel and some ATF. I say that because you asked about stalling when you let odff the accelorator. That is an indication of IP govenor issues. Some say running the truck on fresh fuel helps eliminate the issue. I would try that before I started digging in an expensive part.

renovate7

Increased idle to 800/850 rpm, much better. My secondary fuel filters were as new as new gets. The military must have done a major overhaul on this prior to turn in. I've checked every fluid on this, including diffs, and it all looks like it went in yesterday. Definately a Sprag, I've started a seperate thread with a question or two...Got my temporary tag today. Insurance is $183 and tag is $7.50 for 30 days. Time to go driving, the best thing I can do for this old truck.

zout

You know now you have a few months to get that awesome looking truck ready for: ahhhh here it comes
THE GEORGIA RALLY 2011

Type and post pictures now only when you have free time after getting it ready to roll NORTH BOUND - that is this way ^^^ on the map.

It will be the best ride you can take - and stealing a sentence from WM - the best time you ever had with your pants on.
:grd:

You have a fantastic group of members there in the Sunshine State as well.

renovate7

WELL...DRIVING AN A2 IS A LOT NOISIER THAN AN A3. But I DO like hearing that whistler turbo again! Just had an excellent ride. Temp gauge stayed just over 160, even on this hot afternoon. Oil pressure is 30 at idle, 60 when running. It was 15 with the idle too low. Excellent clutch, great brakes. My first A2 arrived with the air pack stuck effectively giving me no power brakes. ALL the lights work....Thanks Uncle Sam!