• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1967 Navy CN40 Platform Truck

terratek

Figured I would start a build and documentation thread as this seems to be a pretty rare one.

It was bought by the po 30 or so years ago and used as a farm truck, about a year ago the clutch and brakes went and he couldn't find anyone to work on it. I ended up getting it onto the car hauler using a come along, tow chain, and loads of time.

Plans for it at the moment are:
Get engine running
Replace all wiring
Fix brakes
Fix clutch
Replace old wood
Repaint (probably cat yellow with 4" black lettering)
Rebuild the seat
Add a fire extinguisher
Do some upgrades to the engine, lighting, etc

This is going to be a severely limited budget restore.

Documentation:

Engine is a Wisconsin VG4D governed to 2400 rpm, top speed of the vehicle is around 20mph.

Oil filter seems to be a Mil Std Jr, wix51100 was in stock at oreilly

Plugs are d167, picked up some compatible ones

Data Plate transcription:
TRUCK AIRFIELD MAINTENANCE AND LINE SERVICE GASOLINE 4 X 2
MODEL: CN-40-A
CAPACITY: 4000 LBS.
SER.: 7897
YEAR OF MANUFACTURE: 1967
ENG. SER. NO: 4384146
REGISTRATION NO. USN: 94-74697
CONT. NO: N00600-67-C-0023
SHIPPING WT.: 3200 LB
GROSS VEHICLE WT.: 7200 LB
OVERALL HEIGHT: 66 IN
WIDTH: 62 IN
LENGTH: 158 IN
WARRANTY 12 MO
DATE SHIP: 7 67
UNITED TRACTOR INC. CHESTERTON, INDIANA

Manual is NAVWEPS 19-25-115
I have had no luck finding the manual as of now.

Luckily I have found a parts manual for the engine and some basic procedures for adjusting points, timing, etc.

Attached are images

Attachments

emr

[thumbzup] [thumbzup] WOW That is one conversation peice for sure, even in this hobby, anybody would be proud to run her thru a show, Great Find and Good Luck :driver: I would LOVE to have that :driver: Holy molly the more I look at it the more I LIKE IT

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is going to be a severely limited budget restore.
That would make a cool little wagon for running around the farm and at the GA Rally.

If you want to flip it for a profit I have some mad money in my Paypal account.

But.....I DON'T NEED ANOTHER PROJECTauaauaauaaua

SOMEBODY SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!

supermechanic

I have one that is very similar.
Major difference is engine is two cylinder, rather than four.
I have a tool box, a jump pack and a torch set on mine.
Makes a handy yard vehicle.
Sorry, no documents or manuals.

terratek

porkysplace: tried those and more, emailed the naval air museum in Pensacola, etc.. As for a beer hauler, I told my 11 year old nephew I am teching him to drive on it as it is standard tranny, he asked why, I responded with "my land has access to around 1100 miles of private roads, and your dad and I may need a designated underage driver". He laughed, my brother said "dude! good call!"

emr: I'm loving the thing, when i do the rebuild, I am thinking of adding a seat along the rear wall with a winch under it... great for parades, great for hunting. After it is rebuilt, we are thinking of taking some sheet metal and angle iron, fabbing up a fake gantry crane for it and a bomb with some nose art.

wreckerman893: I may, MAY, at some point want to sell it, but... For now I am looking forward to the rebuild :)

supermechanic: This one had a toolbox, which ate through the bed, rails did as well... PO didn't leave any space for water to drain, on the plus side, bed is attached with 15 or so 1.5"-2" welds, should be an easy removal.

Today I changed the oil, changed the filter, lubed the cylinders, changed the plugs, drained about 3 gallons of water from the tank, and around 5 gallons of "fuel". Hit it with some starter fluid, and... she started. Tonight I have the battery charging and will be picking up some more fuel, tomorrow I am hoping to have it moving (even if i have to start it in gear).

Will youtube some videos once I find my camera.

terratek

Had to redo a bunch of shelving in the house, so didn't get much work done on it. Today I started rewiring the ignition, only to have the ignition switch lock up completely, and a toggle switch fall apart. Picked up some replacements today (and a replacement starter solenoid), will work on it this weekend when it hopefully won't be raining.

The battery went to autozone for a deep charge and test, they said it was fine, I checked it with a volt meter, it read 5.7 volts... Not really sure what the definition of fine is anymore. Will either borrow the battery out of my rv or look for a used one this weekend.

I am thinking that the optional starter that was replaced has suffered water damage, was mounted incorrectly, or has the wrong head on it. Will worry about that later as well.

After I get it started and moved to the work location, I want to see how much of the ngine compartment can be dismantled to make maintenance easier.

terratek

combatmech: No problem, and thanks for looking :) For now, I am figuring stuff out as I go, No different than working on a motorcycle or a vw.

southdave: It was a 6v positive ground system, so far I have chopped three sets of wiring out of it with bolt cutters.. Partially melted original wiring, partially melted second set of wiring, and all of the wiring used to do the 12v conversion. The only thing I know (tentatively) about the rear end so far is it is made by United Tractor.

Last night I was tired of not working on it, so... Attached a drop light to the tree, grabbed the battery from the rv, and started working on it, gave up around midnight.

Here's what I managed to get done:
Installed battery out of the rv
Installed new solenoid
Installed new keyed ignition switch
Installed new toggle switch
Wired up toggle to headlights and accessory position on ignition
Wired up ignition switch
Cleaned out fuel filter
Picked up 2 inline filters
Picked up 5 feet of new fuel hose

After re-attaching the original fuel filter, no fuel. Today I am going to see if i can dig out my old boat gas tote/tank and hook it up, if the fuel pump still works, will be dropping the tank later and taking it to have it boiled out, then bring it back here and red-kote it.

terratek

A bit more info on the truck.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get Metro Crown to send me the TM, but they sent me the spec sheet for the vehicle.

Table I-I. Leading Particulars

Engine
Manufacturer: Wisconsin, VG4D 194628
No. of Cylinders: 4
Bore: 3.5
Stroke: 4
Displacement: 154
Max RPM (governed): 2400
Horsepower at max rpm: 37.5

Generator: Autolite GJK-7002A (po replaced with chrysler alternator)

Starter: Autolite MZ-4192 (po replaced at some point, no clue as to what was used)

Voltage Reg: Autolite VBO-4601W (defunct with alternator install, removed by me)

Spark Plug: A-C Spark R86 (replaced with d16j)

Battery: Exide no. 1926 (replaced with whatever was laying around)

Generator Belt: Gates 2140

Transmission: Warner Gear AS11T96

Clutch: Rockford Clutch Div. 9A7

Drive Axle: United Tractor

Overall Length: 150 in. (appx)
Overall Width: 60 in.
Overall Height: 57 in. (steering wheel)

Road Clearance: 7 in. (appx)
Outside Turning Radius: 10 feet (appx)
Wheel Base: 72 in.

Tires:
Front and Rear: 6:00x9 (10 ply)

Steering Gear: Ross Tool and Gear Co. TL13172

terratek

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d5RiWW6OKk[/media]

Still need to remove the old fuel filter as it is leaking everywhere, so no constant fuel supply at the moment. Started it up in gear and took it to the end of the street, turned it off, started in reverse and backed it into it's old position.

Clutch isn't engaging, brakes don't work, and throttle linkage needs to be redone. On the plus side, it moves under it's own power now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks