• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1967 stevens m 416 trailer usmc

gabe greene

Hi, looking for info on the colors used on the 1967 stevens m416 1/4 ton military trailer. Just bought it and will be restoring it back to factory. appears to have 4 different colors. but dont know the right color name and number ( semi or flat paint) could anyone help me with this? Thanks Gabe I have attached 1 pic.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to restore it back to the camo pattern it had last in the military, you want the MERDC camo pattern, search Steel Soldiers and you will find the correct woodland pattern colors. If you'd prefer the one-color paint color it had when it was made, that would be 24087 Olive Drab Semi Gloss.

CycleJay

Darn, wish I could find one of those trailers. I really need one.

Good luck on the paint job.

Post pics of it when it is done.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the Winter Verdant scheme - green 34079 (named Forest Green), brown 30118 (named Field Drab), sand, and black. All would have been flat.

Look at TB 43-0147 for the info and the patterns.

Cheers

L1A1

If you want to restore it back to the camo pattern it had last in the military, you want the MERDC camo pattern, search Steel Soldiers and you will find the correct woodland pattern colors. If you'd prefer the one-color paint color it had when it was made, that would be 24087 Olive Drab Semi Gloss.
If the trailer was USMC, then it's original (from the factory) color wouldn't have been 24087 (unless you're implying that the Marines stole that M416 from the Army?:smile:) The correct color would have been either the # 24052 Semi Gloss forest green or #34052 lusterless forest green.

Rapco Paint Descriptions & Recommended Uses!!! NEW

Matt

gabe greene

Im a little confused with the colors, would the semi gloss have been with the flats? and the thin streaks seem to be a drap blue and not black. is there such a color for that time. Thanks again Gabe. ( ive attached more pics so i can buy the correct colors)

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the overall green could be either semi-gloss or flat, but semi-gloss went out when the camouflage came in. Camo is all flat, reduced reflectance being part of the camo effect.

The MERDC camo was introduced fleet-wide to all the services for tactical vehicles in c.1975 (except at Ft Hood where it was trialed for a couple or so years first), and was the standard camo scheme until the 383 3-colour came in early 80's.

While there are a fair number of older vehicles still sporting MERDC, anything still in MERDC probably hasn't been painted, except for touch ups, for almost 30 years, so it is all going to be very faded and "off spec" for colour.

My M185 was in the Summer Verdant scheme, but on most of it you would be hard pressed to tell, both greens having faded to a similar shade with a very slight blue tint to it. It looks like one green with some scurvy tan and grey (formerly black) patches.

Your desert trailer has the Gray Desert variation of the MERDC scheme, very faded and made somewhat confusing because of later touch ups with more brown paint giving something like a 5-colour effect.
If they were painted to the diagram, both trailers would have exactly the same pattern, only the colours would differ. Since the camo was often applied at a unit level, the actual patterns on vehicles can vary considerably from the diagrams in the manual.

Clear as mud? :-D

Cheers

PS: remember, in all things military, there are always exceptions to the rule, nothing is absolute! For example- I remember seeing a Marine M151 on Camp Pendleton (c1979) in MERDC camo, but with all the lettering carefully done in yellow. The yellow lettering was supposed to go out with the overall Marine green.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the link to the MERDC manual, I found it under the Deuce manuals.

http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TB43-0147.pdf

It should explain the schemes, though you will have to look for actual colour examples elsewhere. Rapco sells all the colours, but the example chips on their site are off if you are trying to figure out the actual shades. Try some of the scale modelling forums, those guys are pretty good at getting their examples right.

While we are at it, remember camo was for tactical vehicles, non-tactical vehicles in the various services stayed in their high visibility schemes. During my active Marine years (late 70s through late 80s) admin type vehicles, like cars, MP cars, vans and buses, were semi- or gloss Marine Green with yellow lettering. For the squids, these vehicles were mostly grey; for the zoomies, Strata Blue, etc.

Cheers

Last edited:

gabe greene

thanks for all the info, i have forest green 34052, brown 30118, sand ? , and black ? . Im only missing the correct name for the brown and the sand number and the black number. Thanks again Gabe.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The green is 34079, not 052. Sand 30277, black I can't tell you off the top of my head. Any flat black will do though.

Cheers

gabe greene

hi, had 1 more question on my m416. i bought a jerry can and bracket. i would like to know if i install it on the front of my 1967 m416 usmc trailer will it be something that will be right.? and are the cans markings right for the time period and trailer? Need help with this , Thanks Gabe

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not an American can (European), if that makes a difference to you. Period is correct though.

Going with the Marine theme, you can put the can on the tongue, or hang it off the sides ahead of the wheel wells.
In my service, I only saw them on the tongue (late 70s-late 80s). The ones on the sides were set up for the Mighty Mite I believe? Someone else will have to confirm that part.

Cheers

PS - don't know who owns these trailers, I nicked the pics off the net long ago. Pic 2 specifically stated it was a Mite trailer. I wish they were mine!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks