• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 Mack M123A1C 10 ton Tank Transporter

Jeff Lakaszcyck

That's nice looking work:

- what did you do to keep those patches from warping and twisting during the welding (some kind of heat sink or something)?
I really just worked opposite sides of it and let it cool down between welds. The plate I used was 1/8”, same as the fenders so I didn’t have any warpage issues.

fasttruck

The issue which usually makes a M123 over width is the mud guards mounted between the fuel tanks and the intermediate axle. Truck illustrated does not have these mud guards or quarter fenders so with the outside tires removed it may be under 102" wide. I know forward of the fuel tanks it is.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

The issue which usually makes a M123 over width is the mud guards mounted between the fuel tanks and the intermediate axle. Truck illustrated does not have these mud guards or quarter fenders so with the outside tires removed it may be under 102" wide. I know forward of the fuel tanks it is.
This one will have singles on the rear, and the off set of the wheels we are using perfectly match the front track. I'm not sure if these wheels were custom made or came off something else, but we won't have any width issues.

IMG_5918.JPG IMG_5919.jpg

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, maybe you already mentioned it, but which paint you use. That is, which current codes, if you have them. I am still looking for good paint, and this seems very nice for my 1965 M51A2.

fasttruck

Reference post 67: tanks are not the same as the fuel fill is in the front on both sides. Also, as built, a M 123 feeds on the left tank which is where the fuel filters are, and returns into the right tank. Unlike its' 5 ton brethren, the 10 ton has a crossover line to allow the contents of both tanks to equalize.

Dirt71

Reference post 67: tanks are not the same as the fuel fill is in the front on both sides. Also, as built, a M 123 feeds on the left tank which is where the fuel filters are, and returns into the right tank. Unlike its' 5 ton brethren, the 10 ton has a crossover line to allow the contents of both tanks to equalize.
WOW!! Mr. Fasttruck... the only thing you are correct on is that the 2 tank's have a cross over line to equalize the fuel level. The fuel cross over line goes from the left side (driver's side) to the right side (passenger side) and the fuel line goes from that right side tank to the filter's to feed the engine located just in front of the steering box directly under the driver's side door. The fuel return line come's off of the rear of the left side cylinder head down under the cab and crosses over between the cab and winch and dump's into the right side tank. I've owned many of these truck's over the year's and even the LeRoi Gasser 10 ton fuel tank's were built the same from left to right, but they did not have a return line and no cross over line between the 2 of them. they had a fuel pump in each tank and a switch in the cab to select which tank you wanted to use. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, but I do know these 10 ton's pretty well!!

Jeff Lakaszcyck

It's not done, but it is done enough ! All the big stuff is on, including the spare tire and that big heavy (200+ lbs) winch pulley assembly. We also removed the metal top as the front of it is pretty fubared where it had been previously welded to the windshield frame. There are no tail lights yet, there are wiring and instrument issues, and we haven't even touched the interior yet, but over all the truck is very presentable and I'm very pleased with how far it has come in just a few weeks. We are off to Macungie Thursday (on a trailer), stop in and say hi if you are at the show.

IMG_9552.JPG IMG_9551.JPG IMG_9553.JPG IMG_9554.JPG IMG_9555.JPG IMG_9556.JPG IMG_9557.JPG

fasttruck

Reference post 69: fuel lines. This is not my first rodeo with M123s either. I served in a unit that had 22ea of them and then owned my own for 10 years after they were sold off. None of them had a fuel distribution system anything like what you describe in your post. The fuel equalizes between the tanks and then (you say) the feed to the filters originates on the right side to supply a filter set on the left side ? I don't think so. There is a tee on the left side where the cross over line attaches and the line to the primary fuel filter originates. Or did somebody apply unauthorized MWOs to the trucks you worked on ?

Dirt71

All I'm gonna say is that every 10 M123 that I ever owned (12 of them since 2005) the fuel line's were as I described so I seriously doubt that all 12 were changed in the same manner!! The M123 that is sitting in my driveway as I write this the fuel line's are configured in this way. Even the M125 that I own that was repowered with the Cummins V8 300 by the (ARMY!!) has the fuel line's ran this way...GEEZ!! I'm out of this discussion, I was just trying to help my buddy Jeff with the question's he had on his truck. Jeff you can stop by anytime since you are somewhat close to me and check for yourself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks