• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 AM General - Restored

Jared

Very nice job!!

What color did you use?
Can you tell me where you got that steering wheel? It looks like the newer style that's more squared than rounded. Do you know where I could get one and by chance if it would fit an M813?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VERY nice!! I don't think mine will EVER look like that;-), but that's alright, I still love the "Raven Deuce". GREAT JOB!!!

Lex_Ordo

Thanks very much guys. I really appreciate it. It was a long process, just because I was trying to get it just right. Kind of like my trailer. The best part is that even though it looks clean, I'm not afraid to drive it, because it is a well used 38 year old truck, and it likes to be driven.
My trailer on the other hand is just so nice clean and dry, that it only comes out on nice days. Plus it lives in the garage.
The truck stays outside all the time so, rain, snow, sleet, fall, winter spring, It's all good. Nothing a little soap and water can't clean up.

Okay, the steering wheel I bought from Saturn Surplus. I don't know if it fits an M813, But I imagine it will. Make sure if you do get it, you buy the new style horn button kit, and a new horn cable lead. It is an easy install and looks nice.

Data plates; I asked TnJ Murray about them back in October, and then a nice clean new set arrived in November. Expensive, and a bit suprised, but very happy with the result. I replaced all the driver side plates, and the cold start switch. Passenger side was clean and straight, and since they were all stamped with the actual AM General numbers, I kept them. Actually only one, the other was the Lubrtication data plate.

On the paint,
It is a 383 OD polyurethane paint made by Omni Coatings which is a division of PPG, I think. It went on dry and flat, and along with the hardner, it is a good automotive paint and stays the same shade wet or dry. It is a smooth finish, so unlike the CARC, water just beads and drips off.
We had to mix the color but it matches the CARC 383 almost 100%.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job! Your workmenship shows through out the whole truck. Alot of hours went into it. I also would like to know more about the paint. I'm wanting to do mine that color

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks