• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 M35A or 2001 M35A3?? Need opinions!

rrrr

I prefer the A2 with a winch. I have an A2 and like the sound of the turbo, 1c. The money you save could be applied to a 395 tire/wheel upgrade, remote brake resvoir, and air o matic steering. The A2 looks, feels, and sounds like a milititary truck. I kinda like the manual shifting thing to. Parts and knowledge of the A2 abound from people on the forum as well. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either I just prefer the A2 !

Happyland1410

I think that one (or more) of each would be the best option:mrgreen: Personally I like the A2 better just for its simplicity and parts availability. For the difference in price you could put together a really nice A2 and even add air assist steering if that was important. In my opinion the biggest advantage to the A3 is the safety of the dual circuit brake system. But there are some late A2's that have the dual circuit brakes. Anyway, best of luck finding your perfect 1st deuce and welcome to the OD disease.

jtrimmell

Thanks to all the guys that made a helpful post!! I really appreciate it! I am definitely going to try and find a nice A2 preferably desert tan if I can find one with low enough miles and that's in good shape! The auto has me nervous, allison's can get expensive in a hurry and like everyone has said parts are much harder to come by. The extra conveniences would be nice with the A3 but you can always add stuff on later! The 71 A2 I was looking at is in pretty good shape but its not going anywhere anytime soon so I am going to try and see if I can find a tan one preferably with a winch.

-Tan A2
Hemtt Wheels/Good Year MVT's
UHF/VHF Radios
A winch if I can't find one with one already
Probably upgrade the lights with LED's and add a few more work lights
Other small goodies.

Might bid on some through Gov Liquidation and see if I can pick one up decently cheap! The idea to buy an A2 and have money for mods is definitely a good idea! The hunt is on!! Thanks guys!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Low miles isn't always a good thing , if it truly is low miles and not a speedo replaced you will be looking at dried up seals and other problems related to sitting . If looking for a low mile truck look for one that has verified brake work to it , the rubber seals in the break system tend to dry rot . Breaks are the most imporant maintainace item on a deuce , saftey is the main concern with 40 + year old 14,000 pound trucks.

jtrimmell

Low miles isn't always a good thing , if it truly is low miles and not a speedo replaced you will be looking at dried up seals and other problems related to sitting . If looking for a low mile truck look for one that has verified brake work to it , the rubber seals in the break system tend to dry rot . Breaks are the most imporant maintainace item on a deuce , saftey is the main concern with 40 + year old 14,000 pound trucks.
That's the first thing I was told lol was to make sure I inspected the brakes good because they are prone to leaking after sitting. Lost brakes on a 69 Chevy 4500 one time out on the farm loaded down with seed wheat out on the highway approaching a red light. Talk about making you pucker up! That 327 just barely had enough compression to get me slowed enough that I could turn the corner instead of blowing the intersection. Don't want that experience again!

Should high hours/low miles be a concern? How do these trucks like idling for long periods? Does it load the cylinders up with fuel and wash the walls down?

rrrr

Take a look at the right forward side of the motor to see if the engine has a rebuild tag. A few people have had problems with the rebuild motors going out. My A2 had 16500 miles and about 450 hours so they seemed to be a good match. No rebuild tag on my white 1C motor also. I would prefer a motor with some miles so I know that it has been in use versus just sitting.

jtrimmell

Take a look at the right forward side of the motor to see if the engine has a rebuild tag. A few people have had problems with the rebuild motors going out. My A2 had 16500 miles and about 450 hours so they seemed to be a good match. No rebuild tag on my white 1C motor also. I would prefer a motor with some miles so I know that it has been in use versus just sitting.
I will definitely look the truck over good before I buy one as soon as I find what I am looking for. That's what I was thinking too! I would much rather have one that has been drivin and not just sat and idled in the winter or something where the fuel has just washed the cylinders down. My 2010 Dodge 6.7 will barely keep operating temp as it is up on a mandatory elevated idle at 1,100 rpm if the temps are 25 or below when I'm working out of it in the winter.

What kind of blow by can I expect with a good running motor? Do they have any normally or only if they have a problem like a cracked ring and are pushing compression into the crank case? Haven't really noticed any blow by from the trucks I have been around but I haven't really looked either...

91W350

Mine had a rebuilt tag and it was perfect, rebuilt in 91 at Tooele, I would like to shake the guy's hand that set that engine up!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say something along the lines of I cant wait to see the replys/comments on this one. That's real welcoming. 91W350 just added some info without having that TONE that the new guys always get when you first join a forum almost to call the new guys an idiot!
Let's see now, how long have you been on this site? How long have you been posting on any site? Do you know what the smiley face is for? It's for the humor challenged. I wonder if there was a smiley in my original post?

Now I posted my original comment because I knew this thread was going to turn out like it did and I put a smiley in the post so you would not think I was picking on you.

Go back and read it a couple of more times as at no point did I call you an idiot. If I had thought you were an idiot I'm man enough to call you one.

Hmm, if you go to your other post I even welcomed you aboard.

Guess what? No one on this site can tell you what to buy. I have driven both and I prefer the A2 but that's me, not you.

jtrimmell

Let's see now, how long have you been on this site? How long have you been posting on any site? Do you know what the smiley face is for? It's for the humor challenged. I wonder if there was a smiley in my original post?Now I posted my original comment because I knew this thread was going to turn out like it did and I put a smiley in the post so you would not think I was picking on you.Go back and read it a couple of more times as at no point did I call you an idiot. If I had thought you were an idiot I'm man enough to call you one.Hmm, if you go to your other post I even welcomed you aboard.Guess what? No one on this site can tell you what to buy. I have driven both and I prefer the A2 but that's me, not you.
I might be a new member to this particular forum but I have been using forum's a lot longer then you would think so don't even go there. And I have seen comments exactly like yours on other forums where the statement is made and includes a smiley face but wasn't written to be all in good humor and for laughs it was actually to make the poster of the comment "look cool" or whatever the case may be. I AM OVER IT! The discussion about it is over. And by the way it didn't turn out like you "knew" it would as I have gotten some pretty good advice to help me make my decision that has already been made.

Thanks to the guys with the helpful advice.

I found a 74 Tan A2 with a winch with about 15,000 miles that I am going to call about on Monday. Looks pretty clean and is only 4 hours from me so I can easily go check it out. Changed my mind about wanting to get one bobbed just going to add the Hemtt wheels/Good Year MVT's and enjoy the truck! I imagine it will be my first truck and I will probably have it forever haha. Thanks again guys from a "newbie" [thumbzup]

jtrimmell

Found a Tan 79 M35A2 with 18,000 miles, winch, with some interior upgrades, new highway tread tires and it supposedly runs like a champ and has recent brake work. I hate that that is as much information as they can give about the truck. It's about 4 hours from me and will be in an auction Saturday morning. Huge ranch went under so they are selling everything will definitely be shooting to get the truck!

KsM715

I think I just heard some doors slamming and guys running out mumbling something about going to Texas this weekend. :p

jtrimmell

The truck was a no go. It was in pretty good shape surprisingly but it went for $9,300 which was more then I was going to spend on a A2. Little Asian guy bought it for use on a farm in OK. Not sure what they are farming with this 100 degrees every day for the last month. The corn has already kicked off from the lack of rain and the yields are going to suck! The hunt is back on!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks