• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1972 Deuce front axel seals

mikeblac

After finally recovering my 72 AM General deuce from Warner Robins earlier this week - things are going ok.

Replaced batteries - she starts and runs.
Found out items were liberated from the truck - while I awaited radioactive certificate to pick up truck.
No brakes - waiting on master cylinder kit.

Got truck back home, checked her over, replaced batteries - All is well. Cranked her up and drove her around the field - no problem. Drove her for about 10 minutes max.

Next morning - find a pool of gear oil under one of the front tires, so I know we need to replace the seals.

I have reviewed Banshee's step by step instructions, and intend to follow them, but I have been unable to locate if someone has the Carquest or Napa numbers for the front seals and boots. Or is there a better place to buy them? Boots are iffy, so I will replace them when we do this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Clay James

There is no NAPA number for the seals and none of them are USA made. You'd have to order from one of the surplus places.

I replaced the ones in my A2 three times with the stock type seals and gear oil still floods past. I got fed up with those seals, so I'm switching over to a new type I found. Put them in my 109 while I was doing brakes, but that one wasn't leaking, so I'll find out how well they do when I put them in my A2. They're USA made too. Here's the place Custom Off-Road Equipment

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don, a link to the seller on ebay is ok, a link to an ebay item is not.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................I replaced the ones in my A2 three times with the stock type seals and gear oil still floods past.........
Strange but who knows; could be anything - from being old, hardened seals to insufficient lip-to-shaft interference; to having excessive vertical play in the kingpins...? Or maybe retainer not correctly sealed to the axle housing??

FWIW: retainer bore diameter is 2.686"; shaft dia. is 1.668" (1-11/16" nominal) and seal width is 0.50".
So far I have successfully used the #470074 (nitrile type, double lip., from Timken or equivalents)

G.

Last edited:
If you have blown seals, don't forget to check the vent on the diff. They get plugged up and blow your seals once the diff heats and the air/fluid heats up and expands from driving.

It's a tiny thing about 3/8" in diameter.

DieselBob

Also don't forget that if the bushing in the spindle is worn it will not support the stub shaft correctly and that can lead to the axle shaft moving radially enough that the seal can't make up for the movement. This can also happen if the "U" joint has much play in it. 2cents

Clay James

Replaced the spindle and kingpin bushings and added remote breather lines for the axles. They still leak, but at least I'm narrowing things down.

mikeblac

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes - I did search before posting, but probably did not spell it correctly. Was typing on laptop with the end of a screwdriver, due to excess grease and oil covering most of my body. Will search again using correct englist.

Boy - working on this beast sure is fun.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you are pulling the axle apart in order to do the inner seals, you should use the non-zippered boots. Do a search for zipper boots, you'll find dozens of threads. The short end is that the zippered boots suck and the zipperless ones suck slightly less and will last longer before falling apart.

Make sure to get everything done-the rally is barely two months away.. :D

mikeblac

Thanks Clint. Yep- I was planning on looking for the non-zipper boots.

Plan on attending the rally - but not sure if the truck will make it down with me. Maybe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks