• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1973 M54 or M51???

QKA-M35

Interesting....you say that because the area on the transmission where the PTO would mount looks super clean as if there was never a PTO mounted. The cover plate looks untouched. However the truck has a front winch assembly. I'm going to get pics of the truck and post them for further assessment by you and the rest of the experts. I'm leaning towards a M52 or M51.
Calling all experts! Here are the indicator pics that I will hope help you in determining whether this is a M54, M51, or M52. The rear pics of frame show it to be very clean almost factory which leads me to believe that this could have been a rare single axle 5 Ton which they did make. However, if it was a single axle 5 Ton then why the need for the trailer bed? Why not just keep the tractor, dump or cargo bed? I took pics of the area between back of cab and trailer bed which clearly shows where something was mounted that used air, hydraulic or PTO setup due to the disconnected lines. You would have to zoom in to get a better look.

I look forward to your replies!!!

Attachments

AZDeuce

I've studied some pictures of the rear of both the M51 dump truck, and the M52 tractors yours is DEFINITELY a M52 Tractor. The biggest give away is the rear cross member. The dump truck has a solid flat topped piece of bent "U" channel, while the M52 has a stamped piece of steel that is depressed on top by a few inches. So your truck used to be a M52A2 Tractor. Hopes that helps.

QKA-M35

I've studied some pictures of the rear of both the M51 dump truck, and the M52 tractors yours is DEFINITELY a M52 Tractor. The biggest give away is the rear cross member. The dump truck has a solid flat topped piece of bent "U" channel, while the M52 has a stamped piece of steel that is depressed on top by a few inches. So your truck used to be a M52A2 Tractor. Hopes that helps.
Hell yeah that helps!!! You're awesome!! THANK YOU for solving my mystery!!!

AZDeuce

It originally was a dual rear axled tractor (6x6), I've never heard or seen a military single axle tractor except one made once they were in civilian hands. The rear tires (on the rear axle) actually sit a few inches past the frame of the truck. So I doubt your frame was shortened just the rear axle removed and the middle axle moved back a bit. Hope that was what you wanted to know - AZ

Reactions: 98G

fasttruck

Reference to post #20: 5tons have PTO on right side of transmission. If no PTO is used an sheet metal cover is used to cover the opening. If the transmission was replaced after a dump body was removed with a plain PTO opening then it would look like it was never there. Another clue would be if the knock out that fills the hole in the floor where the PTO lever goes is missing would suggest a PTO had been present and is now gone. Depot or Direct Support would not likely close that up.

QKA-M35

Reference to post #20: 5tons have PTO on right side of transmission. If no PTO is used an sheet metal cover is used to cover the opening. If the transmission was replaced after a dump body was removed with a plain PTO opening then it would look like it was never there. Another clue would be if the knock out that fills the hole in the floor where the PTO lever goes is missing would suggest a PTO had been present and is now gone. Depot or Direct Support would not likely close that up.
Thanks for the intel. This truck does still have it's PTO lever but the linkage end of it that sits above the transmission is just dangling there not connected to anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks