• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1974 M35A2 Mulit 5th gear "knocking" issue

mxcobra

Just got my M35A2 delivered. But it has a strange issue while in 5th gear. Its only @ lower RPM. It has a knocking noise, not real bad ... But enough to tell me its not right !! The syncros all look good .. All the other gears are fine, along with clutch and shifting .. And 4x4 works fine. Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction..

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You say synchros look good... guess you mean they work/ feel good?
Or have you had the top cover off, already and looked inside? And.... not turned 5th gears to check if all teeth are still there?
Or at least pull the drain plug and see what comes out...?

G.

DeucesWild11

I have something similar, although its through all gears. The truck shifts just fine but when shifting from one to another gear, when I engage the trans I get a bump under the cab. I thought it sounded like a mount was missing somewhere causing the tranny or something to twist or hop and cause the bump noise. I looked under the cab but couldn't find anything missing or loose. It seems to have gotten worse recently. Anyone experience this? I also get this same noise but much lower in sound and intensity when it is in gear and let's say in between from going up a hill to going down, you know when the engine is pulling the truck up the hill and then slowing it down on the way down the hill. I can feel it right under the cab..

Thanks

Sorry for hijacking the tread but didn't want to post a new thread on a very similar issue.

Ford Mechanic

I have something similar, although its through all gears. The truck shifts just fine but when shifting from one to another gear, when I engage the trans I get a bump under the cab. I thought it sounded like a mount was missing somewhere causing the tranny or something to twist or hop and cause the bump noise. I looked under the cab but couldn't find anything missing or loose. It seems to have gotten worse recently. Anyone experience this? I also get this same noise but much lower in sound and intensity when it is in gear and let's say in between from going up a hill to going down, you know when the engine is pulling the truck up the hill and then slowing it down on the way down the hill. I can feel it right under the cab..

Thanks

Sorry for hijacking the tread but didn't want to post a new thread on a very similar issue.
Did you check the short shaft from the trans to transfer? It's a PITA to get to and tighten and they seem really common to be loose causing lots of different noises.

mxcobra

Yes, Pulled off the cover and looked @ them ..

You say synchros look good... guess you mean they work/ feel good?
Or have you had the top cover off, already and looked inside? And.... not turned 5th gears to check if all teeth are still there?
Or at least pull the drain plug and see what comes out...?

G.

DeucesWild11

I thought I did check that shaft, it looked OK but perhaps I was looking at the wrong thing as that was not a PITA to get to.

Once this weather stops I am going to get back under her and check again.

Thanks!

Ford Mechanic

I thought I did check that shaft, it looked OK but perhaps I was looking at the wrong thing as that was not a PITA to get to.

Once this weather stops I am going to get back under her and check again.

Thanks!
I did it from the bottom. 2 wrenches, sitting on your heels while trying to tighten something at the top wasn't what I would call easy. Mabey my arms just arn't long enough? I was pissed when I discovered I couldn't get my impact to any of them.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I did it from the bottom. 2 wrenches, sitting on your heels while trying to tighten something at the top wasn't what I would call easy. Mabey my arms just arn't long enough? I was pissed when I discovered I couldn't get my impact to any of them.
Take the trans tunnel off in the cab. Easy to get to there.

DeucesWild11

Take the trans tunnel off in the cab. Easy to get to there.
Well that confirms I was looking at the wrong thing, the one that I was looking at was right in front of me. I found an OD bolt on the driveway a few weeks ago and I had one of those "I wonder where that came from" thoughts.. I may now find out!

Thanks!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Passenger seat and tunnel out will allow you to use 1/2 impact, 6 or 4 in extension, and tighten, loosen the bolts for the short driveshaft/jackshaft. It's come loose on me also, used loctite on the bolts after that. Crossmember in other truck is banged from where it came loose on that one.