• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1976 chevy 5/4 ton clone build

ScottG2005

Hey guys I've been wanting a old Canadian 5/4 ton (1976 chevy 5/4 ton) for a long time now. I seen a photo of one on the internet and instantly fell in love with them. I have a 1976 chevy k20 that I plan to use as a candidate for the clone. It's been converted to have a 82 Chevy truck front clip and have 84 doors rather than the 76 front clip and doors. I plan on finding the 76 front clip and doors for it sooner or later. Anyways photos coming soon. I picked up a set of tan leather bucket seats that came out of a jeep (according to the guy I got them off of) that are similar to the 76 military chevy seats. I'll have to make mounts for them but they'll work

ScottG2005

parts I will need to find

76 chevy front clip
76 chevy truck doors
76 chevy truck grille
Camel 76 chevy truck interior
Military cucv grille guard
Blackout light switch
Blackout lights
Olive drab,black,and green paint

Then for my personal touches
Steel flatbed
Dually rear wheels

ScottG2005

Thats a cool power plant. I was so close to getting a caddy big block for my build. Im interested to see how this plays out.
Thank you. I hope it turns out to be a pretty cool build. I was also told it's a relatively low mileage engine as well. I'm planning on putting a mild cam and headers on it.

nyoffroad

I understand changing the front clip (I like the old round head lights) but why the doors? Externally the doors are the same body lines and fit, if you change them you'll need different inner trim panels and believe it or not the old glass is thicker then the newer (80s) window glass. They will interchange but putting old thicker glass in new weather strip will be difficult to roll up and down. Also the vent window mounting screws are in different places. All doable but just wanted let you know.

ScottG2005

I understand changing the front clip (I like the old round head lights) but why the doors? Externally the doors are the same body lines and fit, if you change them you'll need different inner trim panels and believe it or not the old glass is thicker then the newer (80s) window glass. They will interchange but putting old thicker glass in new weather strip will be difficult to roll up and down. Also the vent window mounting screws are in different places. All doable but just wanted let you know.
well i want it to have the period correct door panels and interior the actual canadian 5/4 tons had. and the doors it has are in very bad shape (they came off of a 1984 chevy c30 that was abused and neglected for some time. if you look closely at the passenger side the giant mirror it had at one point in time was ripped off the door leaving 5 holes in the door that arent fixable. so i figured id find some authentic 75-76 doors

ScottG2005

154.jpg

id like to have this style of door panel other than the 81-87 style

linemech31

For what its worth the stock front springs on a low mile us 1008 lay nearly completely flat when removed from the truck. I looked at a set of new old stock factory k30 springs and they were a mirror image of my used springs on my above mentioned 1008 springs. With the stock springs installed they had a very slight negative arch. My rubber bump stops showed significant wear from the stock springs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks