• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1976 M880 Spare tire mount

ICAT

I have a 1976 M880 and I'm trying to come up with a functional spare tire mount w/o having a tire sliding around in the bed. I have a HMMWV spare tire mount but I just can't see how to mount it so I could lower the tail gate.
Any thoughts, pics or ideas would be great.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you put the tire back in the stock location? Has to be close to stock size to fit.

bldbstr

search alfaheaven .com for m880 trucks he rebuilt up until last year he had mine mounted in the bed standing up against bed wall

nattieleather

Mount the HMMWV mount in the bed so it will swing out to the tailgate opening. Then lower the gate swing tire, remove and mount on truck good to go. Or if you want you could just do like the M37 and try mounting it on the drivers door somehow. I would think something like a M37 bed mount would work better. A plate of steel bolted to the bed and the side rail with a bolt coming out so you slide the tire on the bolt and lug nut it down. Could even use a M151 tire plate to hold it in place. Just a few thoughts I have.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have (without the seats attached) put a "J" hook bolt through one of the pin holes for the seats. Then align with a lug hole & tighten to the side rack.
This is on my M884 beater/work/plow truck.
Several years ago I had devised a plan to modify the stock hangar for a 36" tire along with a V5 hitch, on my M880, pretty simple modifications too but the spare still lays in the back...

ICAT

I was hoping to mount the tire on the back without losing access to the bed or taking up bed space.

nattieleather

The HMMWV spare tire carrier is a swing arm one correct. Without looking at it I would have to guess that you need to mount the posts or mounting points on the truck. Just spit balling ideas here, but what about making two brackets that mount to the side of the bed so that they come just past the end of the bed so that the tire carrier mounts to those and then swings over to behind the tailgate, but then swings out of the way so that the tailgate can be opened and lowered? Not sure how you would do it exactly cause I'm not looking at it, but it's a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks