• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1977 m50 vs. m35 series?? newbie

docthrush

Just put a deposit on what I had originaly though was an m35. After looking at the data plates I found it said m50a2 water tanker. Looks like maybe somone changed the bed of it, or changed data plates? Will it be harder to get parts for if it is the m50? Any info on differences or the truck itself would be greatly apreciated!!!

Thanks
Doc

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything will be the same. Need to see if it still has the PTO on the transfer case. Is there a stray shifter on the left side of the front seat? I'd also have a looksee at the numbers stamped into the left front frame rail just aft the steering box. Compare that to the numbers on the data plate.

docthrush

There was a hande there that I wasnt realy sure what it was so that may be it, I did get the numbers from the data plate and Im working on deciphering them.

Thanks for the info!!!!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Doc, that truck is in great condition! A coat of paint and your set! Let us know what else we can help with.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc, welcome to Steel Soldiers!

The parts are exactly the same, only the bed has changed. Looks like it's solid and will be a great truck for you. Paint it OD and you're in business!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M50 water tanker also had an exhaust diverter for keeping the water from freezing and an additional linkage from the transfer mounted PTO to the fuel injection pump to keep the rpm from changing when the PTO driven pump was loaded down. Unique features, that some folks on this forum may be interested in if you won't need them.
There would have been two "handles" (shifters) on the left side of the seat, one is the hand brake and below it, one to engage the PTO....

Technical manuals to look for: TM 9-2320-209-10 (operator) and TM 9-2320-209-20 (maintenance).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks