• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1979 postal jeep

tiny

Well we did not buy a Military Jeep but we did get a government jeep today a Jeep DJ5 postal jeep right hand drive. pics to be posted Monday or Tuesday.

Tiny

wb1895

Gimpy

There are three of those jeeps for sale just a few miles from my house. If you want me to go see what he wants for them just let me know.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They used to be dirt cheap. I expect the prices to rise if they haven't already. Blown injected small block would really deliver the mail.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I had one a few years ago...painted it "fire engine red" and had chrome full disc hubcaps on it. It was in immaculate condition...body and drive train.
A feller followed me to work one day and offered me almost 5 times what I had in it so.....I don't have it anymore....and I see it once in awhile in Harris County Georgia....delivering the mail!!!

tiny

I traded a 1982 gold wing for it. and it is painted pretty funky but I like it and the lady delivered mail with it for years. Just 2 wd and straight 6 with automatic tranny.

tiny

Last edited:

tiny

Well now the jeep has 2 seats and a new paint job. Pics later, Have to get seat belts installed and insurance then a tag then we are road ready . drove it around the other night talking about a rattle trap jeez can't hardly think in there from the noise.

tiny

PropDr

LOL. Good to know that I'm not the only one that has gone postal on this site. Oh By the way they have a nasty habit of breaking the driver side rear main leaf in the spring pack. That has the Audi engine in it right? They had some really odd engines in them in the later years....

Mine was the DJ-5b With the Odd bellhousing amc 232, and BorgWarner t-35. Hit me up if you have any questions.

tiny

My motor has already been swapped out for an inline 6 cylinder 258 I think. back end above the frame where a cross member is the bed pan is broke out pretty bad.

The person I got it from said that they have a real bad problem of burning up the switches so the starter is by passed with a switch instead of the key ignition.

tiny

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lucky! It looks to be in a fairly good shape and has not been bubba-fied out (like all the ones I see here...).
I saw one yesterday that has been, though. One of the rural carriers out of the Dewy Rose, GA post office has one that he bought as surplus and then painted 3-color NATO camo. I like it! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks