• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1980 M920 fuel

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I have a 1980 M920 with a 400 Cummins Big Cam 1 in it, I have never run anything but regular diesel fuel in the engine but with that said is this engine ok to run Bio-diesel in it? And if I do this will I have to add oil or some other lubricant to the fuel to make sure the injector pump is properly lubricated? I have sold the truck and want to advise the new owner of the proper fuel alternatives for the truck!
Thanks much guys for sharing your knowledge on this subject!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Just wanted to help by saying biodiesel is an AMAZING lubricant, so no lubricant additive needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it sits idle any at all do not run bio diesel. It attracts moisture!
I use cleanest diesel I can find and Power Service additive. Cummins endorses Power Service!
Other flavors of the best additives are ok too.

Kickin

I run the basic Automatic Transmission Fluid in my M920. The ultra low sulfur is too dry for these older engines. Talked with some mechanics, and the ATF will keep the injectors and the pump clean, and this helps with the dry fuels. I also run the Power Service white jugs to keep the fuel conditioned. I was looking at replacing injectors in an older farm tractor. After talking with the mechanic, I ran this combo, and it cleaned up a splutter in the engine. This is over 4 years ago, and it is running smooth. I run 2 quarts in the 100 gallon tank, but was told that one quart should be enough. The extra $2 is worth not having issues with the dry fuels., in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks