• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 D30 M1008 Project

stonejohn

I got a 1984 D30 M1008 from a gov auction. I didn’t know it wasn’t running so now I am in the process of starting it up to see what else needs to be replaced/repaired. New batteries, New Fuel pump, new glow plugs. The glow plug relay is making a loud clicking noise. I am going to try and test it to see if it is working. Any advice would be most helpful

Thanks!

stonejohn

so after priming the fuel pump, I try to start it and get a loud clicking from the glow plug relay.... all glow plugs have 8-10 volts going to them.... going to check compression... they put a snow plow on this truck and sliced a bunch of wires... I am trying to remove them as well as the army radio power in the cab and the jump in the front

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, is the glow plug relay the big metal Ford style? Those do clunk when they close. It should close and open every few seconds but not chatter.

DeadParrot

Make sure the starter has the brace on the end away from the flex plate. If that is missing, can lead to broken starter nose and or starter bolts.

Fresh fuel in the tank? Wait light working?

Check all the rubber hoses and lines. Especially the one between the tank and frame line and frame line and fuel pump.

Download the CUCV TMs and related manuals. Check the CUCV sticky threads.

cucvrus

Do you have sufficient voltage and amperage to turn the engine over? If you do you can momentarily bypass the glow plug relay with a jumper wire. Count to 10 and attempt to start if you have glow plugs and fuel it should start when turning over. Make sure you have 12 volts going to the big red/pink wire on top of the injection pump. Good Luck and Report Back.

LT67

I got a 1984 D30 M1008 from a gov auction. I didn’t know it wasn’t running so now I am in the process of starting it up to see what else needs to be replaced/repaired. New batteries, New Fuel pump, new glow plugs. The glow plug relay is making a loud clicking noise. I am going to try and test it to see if it is working. Any advice would be most helpful

Thanks!
Make sure you get the correct fuel/lift pump. The correct part number is Delphi chfp906. Delphi mf30030 will NOT work.

BenderIsGreat

If you've had the fuel system open recently, it might still have air in the lines leading up to the IP. (My experience anyway - leaky filter.) I have to push the air through the system by cranking when that happens. Takes about 10-30 seconds of cranking which I break up into about 4 second long crank attempts with pauses to give the starter a break. Light or no throttle until it sounds like it wants to catch.
Also, here is a good resource for CUCV parts: https://www.hillbillywizard.com/ ... I know they used to have glowplug relay cards if that's what your problem winds up being.

MarcusOReallyus

On the back of the fuel filter is a fitting that leaks air. Makes things difficult. Might be your problem, might not, but it should be checked.

It's an easy fix, though. Search the forum for more details on that.

I think there's some info on that in the Helpful Threads sticky at the top of the forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks