• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1008 PickUp Driveshaft-What fits

fredster67a

Just wondering the following about going to a local junkyard to buy a rear driveshaft for my M1008 Pickup- What vehicle should I get one from? For example can it be a half ton chevy or gmc pickup, a 3/4 ton if they made that),or a 1 ton , etc. The rear shaft has a tube length of 51 1/2 inches(weld to weld) and the u joints are 3 1/2 inches across (cap to cap ) Thanks in advance for any helpful advice .

camogriz

I purchased a used driveshaft from the junkyard for the M1008 I sold. I couldn't find one that matched up by a specific model, so I went with the yard worker to a large pile of driveshafts. We picked one that matched the length and 32 spline yoke. I replaced both u-joints and had many miles of trouble free service from it. Unfortunately, I could not match the large diameter of the original one, but I didn't use the truck for any heavy duty towing, so I wasn't worried. The 32 spline yoke on the used one we found probably meant it came from a heavy duty truck anyway.

DokWatson

Price quoted is 225.00 for the rear driveshaft to be retubed with 2 new u joints.
Depends on the u-joints I suppose, but you can do that yourself...no reason to pay him for at least 30 minutes of work that takes 10 minutes to do yourself with a hammer. Just ask for a retube, and to re-use everything already on it. Get a quote from somewhere else too.

camp9

I had one done for my m1031 last week for $180. The machine shop had a peace of stainless tube in the scrap pile so they used that. Sure is shiny. :grin:

trider

I know this is a very old thread but instead of starting a new one I thought I would ask it here. I just bought a 1986 M1008 that is missing the rear driveline. I bought the truck beucase it was cheap from GSA. Is there any trucks in the civilian market that will be a direct replacement like something I might find at the local salvage yard?

cucvrus

Re-tube it then you know what you have. They will balance it when they re-tube it. If you run an incorrectly balanced drive shaft you can crack the cas on the transmission from the vibration. Even if it is slight I have seen them cracked. Wise investment new shaft or re-tubed.

trider

So I may have found a drive shaft from a 1985 GMC 3500 4X4 truck. The guy said it is already removed from the truck and does not have the straps or bolts for the yolk. I am very new to CUCV's. Should this drive shaft fit and are the straps and bolts something I can get from a parts store or online. He wants $100 for the drive shaft.

Skinny

I think even with a junkyard driveshaft, it would be a good practice at minimum to install 2 new Spicer joints. Odds are at least in the rust belt that the weights have rusted off. Regardless, buying a custom made rear shaft is not going to be much more money than a junkyard shaft that is retubed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks