• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1008 PickUp Driveshaft-What fits

MarcusOReallyus

Wouldn't hurt to call around and get a quote for a custom built tube. I have no clue what the tube would cost, but the phone calls are pretty cheap.

If you download the free TMs, you can look up the GM part number in the -20P. Call around for a match to that.

MarcusOReallyus

Not many will have heard of an M1008. 1984 K30 should do it. If there ARE any differences, they should be very slight, and shouldn't affect prices. Or to be safe, tell them it's an M1008, which is the same as a 1984 K30. See what they say.

I would hope they would want to have it in the shop to do some measurements before building a tube for it, or at least get some detailed measurements and see some pictures. I'm sure one of us can shoot you some picktoors if you need them.

Skinny

I have no idea because I haven't measured myself but a length at ride height, the yoke spline count at the tcase, and the u-bolt dimension is really all you need.
The truck really has no bearing once we are talking a generic drive line piece.

trider

I have a drive shaft out from under a 1985 K30 4X4. Its a one piece drive shaft. To get it to fit it looks like it needs to slide in about 1" more to get it where it will mount up. I can't get it to go in any more. Is there a trick I do not know about to installing these one piece drive shafts?

Drock

Jack the truck up and let the rear end hang down. This will give you the max amount of play, and allow you to turn the rear end yoke buy hand. I had to do this when I installed my Gear vendors as the GV slip yoke only has 5/8" travel. Thus not a lot of room to install the drive shaft. Cheers:beer:

cucvrus

Hey I remember this. This is the same man that PM ed me and wanted a direct fit OEM M1008/ M1028 driveshaft from me. This is the driveshaft I packaged and took to the post office and got ready to ship. I went out and got the 4 mounting bolts and the straps from a donor truck. HMM. Then he did not want it. I am sorry to hear about your NEW driveshaft not fitting.

I am looking for a complete bolt on. I do not have the straps and bolts either and will need it all.

Thank You
Travis Rider Remember that?

Last edited:

trider

M1008 Rear Driveshaft Problems

I bought my 85 M1008 with no rear drive shaft. After reaserching and asking around on here I found that a mid 80's K30 4X4 rear drive line should have fit it. I managed to acquired one fairly cheap. When I go to install it it acts like it is about 1 inch too long. The front of the drive shaft that stick into the transmission doesn't look like it goes in my truck as far as it did on the K30 it came out from under. Can anyone tell me this measurement so I can see if mine is a wrong drive line of I have some other problem. I have installed a couple drive lines on truck before and they just slid in without having to be forced. Someone suggested to me to jack the back of the truck up install the drive shaft and let the truck back down but this still comes up about an inch too long on the drive shaft.

20150111_122350.jpg

cucvrus

This question was ask before. I can not find the answer. But if I remember correctly. The M1028 A1 with the NP 205 transfer case has a 53" rear drive shaft weld to weld. And the M1028 with the NP208 transfer case has a 48.5" weld to weld rear drive shaft. Some one help me / other member out here. It has been a couple months and I do not want to go out and lay on the ground and measure again. I am 99% sure. can someone look back and double check me. I will check the measurement tomorrow if you need it.

trider

So are the yokes on a drive shaft for a 205 and 208 transfer case the same the only difference is the tube length? I will keep googling to see if I can find the lengths to keep you from having to measure. Mine appears to have come out from under a 205 as it is 53" weld to weld.

Last edited:

dependable

Yeh, everything is the same but the tube length is longer on the trucks with the NP205. The tail shaft is longer on the NP208, so the drive shaft is shorter.

In my case, weld to weld measurement may not be helpful as driveshaft in 205 equipped 1031 is 'custom made'.

I believe the standard way to measure is to U joint centers. Stock tube length is a good way to measure if you are sure you are measuring a stock tube.

trider

I have $75 in my drive shaft. I need it cut down I told to a small local shop and they will cut it and re-weld it for $50. I need to know a exact u joint to u joint or exact tube measurement to tell them. Is 48.5" tube length the exact measurement?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DIfferent slip yokes have different lengths. What you need to do is put the slip in the tranny and work it back and forth until it's centered then measure the distance between the centers of the ujoints, that is if you want to do it right. Relying on a measurement from another persons truck could end up costing you a bunch.

79JEEPCJ

The government auctions unload these with a fork lift, mine was bent, the drive train shop said the big 4" tube is a odd size (??), he built me a new rear drive shaft for $235. If you can find one out of a 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy you can save some money.

Du-wain

Keep in mind not all drivelines have a slip at the front end
..when I did my NV4500 swap in my M1028 from the so called 1986 NP205 to the civilian 85-91 NP205 the rear driveline output was not a slip it was a ubolt yoke.. so if your rear output whether 208 or 205 has a slip on the end.. keep this in mind when looking at other trucks or hunting in boneyards.
, from my experience most civilian trucks have a slip on the front of the shaft only when the truck is a 2wd and most 4wd trucks have a ubolt yoke on the tc rear output..

I say so called 1986 as the tag from the tc has the date 1986 but it is a figure 8 aka racetrack desiģn tc...Its a oddball tc the type and year is a military item only as in the civilan world if it was a 1986 205 tc it would be the 2nd design 6 bolt round pattern that NP produced from 1985-1991...

Last edited: