• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1009 Front end / drive train issue?

JAD561

Need some help or advice on this one. My 1984 M1009 developed a bumping noise in the left front. My 18 year old son has been driving it lately, and told me about the noise he was hearing. I took it out today for what I thought would be a short test drive. Got about a block from home and started hearing a serious sounding knock coming from the left front tire. I started back home at about 5 mph. I was hearing an intermittent knock and a low intensity whine and grind. I actually thought the tire might fall off, but made it home. It's not the brakes, these were replaced about 500 miles ago. I am concerned that the noise could have something to do with the lock out hub.

Any advice, suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

cucvrus

I think you have a frozen U joint in the outer axle shaft, And it has destroyed the inner lockout. Not an uncommon issue on a vehicle of this age. While you are in there pull the other axle and replace the U joint in it also. I would advise to use grease able replacement U Joints. Let us know if that fixes it.

JAD561

We did look at the u joint earlier. The passenger side axle does seem to move more freely than the drivers side. I have to research whether or not this is a job we can do in the driveway, and the pricing and availability of the parts.

Skinny

Sounds like time for a teardown. Depending on age, you may just want to replace balljoints, bearings, and ujoints as preventative maintenance even if you find just one bad. I'd probably go ahead and do TREs and have it aligned just to be safe.

Good luck with the storm. All my buddies in Maine are getting ready. As for me, I went for a walk on the beach today and saw people sailing :)

cucvrus

They are just Warn hubs. Do you have damaged internal parts? Did you discover the issue that was causing the noise? I have lots of the parts for the hubs. What is the parts that you are in need of? I see new take off OEM hubs on Ebay occasionally.

JAD561

I haven't torn it down yet. There's 24" of snow on the ground. I'm just thinking that if I have to take things apart to diagnosis the problem, I might as well replace what's there now as pm for the future.

JAD561

Thanks for the link joshuak, I'll check it out.
Cucvrus, if you have a complete set that you want to sell, send me a private message.

JAD561

We jacked up the truck. There is a tremendous wobble when we spin the tire. You can physically shake the tire on the spindle. So, I know we have a bad wheel bearing. When I lock the locking hub, the tire continues to spin freely, so I'm thinking that the lockout hub is bad also. Anyone have the same experience? Its 15 degrees out, so nothing further can be done today. I have to order the parts and wait for a warmer day.

JAD561

OK, after letting the truck sit for over 10 weeks I finally removed the drivers side hub and rotor. The spindle is wiped out. The threads are gone. The wheel bearing was basically ground into metal chips. I was able to pull the hub and rotor off without removing the lockout hub retainer ring. I ordered a spindle but I'm not sure it will fit. Found out that the 1984 M1009 has a spindle that's a 1\4 inch shorter than later models. Of course I found this out after the spindl was shipped. I don't have it yet. I need a new hub also. The spines are damaged. Anyone have any idea where I can get replacement hardware for the hub? The locking nut and other internal parts were also damaged or ground up.