• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1009 spindle

JAD561

I know this information is on this site, but I am having trouble downloading the TM's and the illustrated parts catalog that are posted for the cucv's.
I am trying to find out what the OEM or Military parts number is for the front axle spindle on the 1984 series M1009. I know its shorter than the later models.

Also, if anyone has a good link to a "how to" on doing a complete rebuild on the spindle, hub and lock outs, please pm me and I'll provide an email address. I had a catastrophic failure on the drivers side, and most of the internal hub parts, including the spindle are seriously damaged or ground up. I am in contact with another member here on parts, but I do need this information.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are no different than a civilian blazer of the era. If you can't do the TM try a Chiltons manual at the library. You can photocopy the section you need. They really are quite simple, probably why no step by step.

m38inmaine

Remove outer part of lockout hub, remove snap ring from end of axle, remove locking ring from groove in hub that secures the inner hub. To me this can be the worst part of the operation. You will need a prick or sharp skinny screwdriver to get it out. It's a piece of spring wire in the shape of a circle, tough to see. Once it's out use two of the outer hub screws and thread them in opposite sides of the inner hub and pull it out. Now remove the outer spindle nut, they make a special socket for this but you can get by with a punch or chisel. Remove washer, remove inner nut. Remove two brake caliper bolts, they use a large 3/8 allen key, remove brake caliper. Now you can remove the hub/rotor. Remove the six bolts holding the spindle and brake shield, 9/16 socket. The spindle is usually welded to the axle stub with rust. Use a block of wood and hammer to get it off, unless it's toast then just beat it off. Install reverse order. I just did this twice this winter on mine when the front axles snapped off when plowing.

cucvrus

Wow you snapped an axle on an M1009 while plowing snow. I never done that yet plowing snow. Or are you plowing snow with an M1010? That is even a bigger feat to snap an axle on one of them. Were you stuck when that happened? I am asking because we plow a lot of snow with the same trucks for the last 20 years and never broke an axle. This year our M1009 broke the frame out at the steering box. I just ordered a repair kit from ORD to fix it. Can't replace the truck for the price of the labor and the $100. repair kit. I steam cleaned the frame of the other trucks and checked them after I saw how badly the frame was cracked and broken.

JAD561

My issue atarted during Hurricane Sandy apparently. I used the truck extensively and it was subjected to a lot of salt water. My voltmeter and fuel gauge stopped working. I was using it as a daily driver, and decided to give it a rest. a few moths later, I took it out and could not shift out of first gear. I took it to a transmission shop in Farmingdale NY. The transmission was not the issue. There was damage if I remember right to the gears in the front axle. While the truck was there, I had all of the front bearings replaced. This is where the problem started. I don't think that the bearing was done properly or torqued correctly. The truck was not really driven too much, and I began to hear a slight knocking. I saw that I had a broken exhaust clamp, and the pipe was knocking. In the meantime, my son took the truck on a 200 mile round trip. When he got back, I took the truck out. I thought the front tire was going to fall off. This was in January. I posted here, but did not try to adress the issue until 2 weeks ago. I took off the tire and brake caliper, and was able to pull the rotor and hub off without removing the inner hub retainer or the locking hub. Everything just came out as a ground up mess. The spindle is destroyed, the hub, all internal parts are unrecognizeable. I purchased a NOS spindle on EBay, but found out that the spindle on the 1984 M1009 was shorter. The one I got is about a 1/2" longer. thanks for pm'ing me on another post, cucvrus. I messaged you back with my email adresses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks