• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 m1028 fender trimming and tires?

Squid in a CUCV

I had a 1 ton Jeep that I drove for a DD with 2-1/2" BS Jeep had a V8 drove it for 6 years, wheeled it off road and the bearings showed no signs of wear, play etc. The point is, BS and Offsets won't hurt the bearing if everything else is correct. Your nylon bushing will see wear first. Look at the bearing load ratings... they will easily handle offsets/BS. ;-)

chesapeake

I just put Powerking 9.00x16 (35.5 x 10) on my 1028A1. I didn't have to lift or trim the fenders. I have rubbed twice hitting a dip pulling into a parking lot. I drove it through my cattle field with no rubbing. I can't get pictures to upload for some reason. I will keep trying

stevenu

Alright, pictures of those exact tires would help a lot seeing as that is what I am leaning towards getting. If you (chesapeake)can get those pictures i would greatly appreciate that.

stevenu

On another note, I believe it was 4 wheel offroad that did a build on a cucv pickup with 15 inch wheels that only had like 1/2 inch backspacing and it seems to work alright for them, although that does seem a little extreme but somehow it allowed them to clear the brakes with 15 inch rims which I did not think was possible before.

chesapeake

I go them from a local dealer. They are old family friends. I know that he had to get them a distributor down in Macon. I got them for $155/tire.

I think that once I raise the front 2" I will be fine as far as scrubbing. I haven't scrubbed in 4-5 days. If you need or want more pictures let me know. So far I like them. I only have about 340 miles on them

stevenu

Cheapest I have found them was like $178 online but then you gotta add like 20 something shipping per tire. $155 is really cheap. If you do not mind taking more pictures I would like to see one straight on from the front to see how skinny the tires really look, just curious. Thanks for the information so far.

chesapeake

5.jpg

Here are 5 more pictures. I am in the middle of remodeling my house and all my tape measures are at my house. When I go over there today, I will grab one and measure the actual size of the tires.

Orange City is close to Daytona isn't it? I am just trying to figure out how to maybe get tires to you. How soon are you wanting these tires?

If you need more pictures or anything let me know

Attachments

Last edited:

chesapeake

Thank you!! So far I like them. You can't exactly drive through yards anymore because it tears up the grass. Especially with all the rain we have had. The engine doesn't sound like it is going to stroke out at any minute anymore hahaha. The truck runs about 3 MPH faster than the speedo shows. Now I am debating on the next project being a new single 3" exhaust or a 2" lift

stevenu

Orange city is about a 30 minute drive to Daytona so sort of close. I would like to get them soon but as far as "extra money" that i have saved specifically for tires I've only got like $300 something right now. I do have the actual money but unless I get a really good deal on them I do not think my wife will let me spend the cash on them at this moment lol. IF you can see about getting them cheap somehow though I would be interested just to see what price I could get them at even if it was not right away, I think it would still be good to know. If you're able to get them a lot cheaper than I have been finding them maybe the wife will go for it so I do not have to pass up a deal. But we'll see. As far as exhaust goes, I just turned mine into straight pipes with turn downs under the bed. It's pretty loud, but I bet if you just replaced the stock mufflers with better aftermarket ones it would probably sound alot better than stock too, and be able to do it pretty cheap. When you cut the tail pipe off the old muffler you just have to make sure to have it at the right length for the new muffler to mate up to it, and if you cant get the muffler to slide off at the end closest to the front there should still be enough length on the pipe there to just cut it as close to the muffler as possible and be able to still bolt a muffler back on. I believe the exhaust is 2 -1/2 before the muffler and 2-1/4 after, I put 2-1/2 turn downs on it angled slightly towards the sides of the truck. Hope that helps.

chesapeake

I can check on getting another set from my friend and see what the price would be just out the door. My parents have a place on the Ga coast. It is an hour north of Jax. I know either they or I will be going down in the next month. If it is worth it for you to drive up and pick them up we can do that. Area code 31522

I appreciate the exhaust tip. The only reason I was thinking about it is bc it has a 30 year old ehaust on it and I figured a new one would help it to breath better.

stevenu

That would be kinda a far drive for me, I appreciate it though. Maybe it would be easier just to pay a higher price and then not have to drive all the way out there and not have to have you haul them to your parents or anything...idk... Do you think your friend could ship them? Maybe it would still come out cheaper than what I'm finding online so far. Either way don't work too hard on this, this is still kind of an if or maybe kinda thing as far as getting them soon. But like I said thanks for the help so far.

As far as breathing better, I would think the two stock pipes would flow better than a single three inch. As long as its not all rusted out or anything, I would say with a little modification it would be good but that's just me. I'm assuming yours has the same exhaust mine did which I'm pretty sure was the stock one, true duals 2-1/2 to mufflers clamped on with the tail pipes being part of the muffler or welded to it in one piece, and the tail pipes should be 2-1/4. I did mine the way it is now to keep it as cheap as possible, get more sound and better flow out of it, so it depends on what specifically you're trying to achieve. To give you an idea how loud it is now though, when driving I can't really hear the engine noise at all over the exhaust now.

chesapeake

Hauling them to the island isn't a problem!! They just ride doen in the bed of the truck. Your gas up and down to get them is the only cost you would have. That is your call. I will definitely ask him if he will ship them and to get a price.

I still have a little more research to do. The remodel on my house is taking priority right now and causing me to sell a few firearms unfortunately

stevenu

I just called the local tire place and they said they can get them for me for 170 something a tire, which if I do not have to pay for shipping I guess is not too bad. That may be the cheapest route I think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks