• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 6.2 CUCV Spindle axle nut

whiskey6

The other day I was helping a friend change his brakes on his 85 6.2 cucv and I'm very new to 4x4 and especially older 4x4 vehicles. We had set out to change his pads, machine rotors and change out his wheel bearings. I got down to the 4 prong "spindle axle nut" and could not get it off, I tried using a punch and tap it loose but it wouldn't budge. So we went back to auto zone and they were almost no help at all. They gave me the 6 prong spindle socket, it was too large and slid right over the nut. So we ended up just replacing the pads, the rotors really weren't too bad at all, but I told my buddy that they're going to wear out faster and that we should do it again, correctly, this summer when its nice out and the days are longer. So can someone please point me in the right direct for the correct socket to get that spindle nut off and perhaps any other special tool I might need after that? Also if there are any youtube videos showing the removal of the hub and bearing replacement. Like I said I'm new to 4x4, the only wheel bearings I've done were on my 03 civic and my 95 S-10. I'd greatly appreciate any help, thank you.

whiskey6

Thank you for your response, followed your link and read the through the thread. Maybe I missed it but I wan unable to get a specific answer from it. I texted my bud and he said its a M1009, I know for certain I need the 4 prong socket, I've done a few google searches now and I keep coming up with different part numbers all ranging from $10-$50. Perhaps you or someone knows specifically what part number i need or can point to a tool catalog of some sort? Also if I will need any other specialized tools after I get the nut off, I did see another weird looking nut behind it, will I need another special tool for that as well?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your response, followed your link and read the through the thread. Maybe I missed it but I wan unable to get a specific answer from it. I texted my bud and he said its a M1009, I know for certain I need the 4 prong socket, I've done a few google searches now and I keep coming up with different part numbers all ranging from $10-$50. Perhaps you or someone knows specifically what part number i need or can point to a tool catalog of some sort? Also if I will need any other specialized tools after I get the nut off, I did see another weird looking nut behind it, will I need another special tool for that as well?
When you get parts and such , these are all built to 1984 specs for a 6.2 J code motor , so just tell the parts guy 1984 K5 with 6.2 J code motor . You will get the "deer in the headlights" look when you tell them military blazer or M1009.

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-2467-4-Lug-Spindle-Socket/dp/B0002STRQS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks