• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 Chevrolet CUCV M1028

cucvrus

DSCF3171.jpgDSCF3172.jpgLook what I have back in my driveway. Man I hated to sell this truck 4 years ago. Tonight it was back. It seems that it would not start and it only had 1 alternator belt on it and the batteries looked like they came out of a Civic. It is getting a bit rough but a young man bought it and heard I was the owner. i owned it for 16 years. I acquired it in 1996 with 1900 original miles on it. I babied it and kept it in the garage at all times. I used it to build a house and cut fire wood with it for years. I drove it to several MV shows in PA and MD. It is back for some work. The man is not in a hurry. I can't do rush jobs right now. i have lots of them started already. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF3509.jpgDSCF3510.jpgDSCF3511.jpgDSCF3512.jpgDSCF3513.jpgDSCF3514.jpgDSCF3506.jpgDSCF3507.jpgDSCF3508.jpgStill have this truck setting in my driveway. Found the brass in the bed. This was my truck and I sold it 4 years ago. It is back. The owner wants new rocker panels and it is getting rusty around the edges. That's why I sold it. I could not bear to watch it rust. Now look. I still have to watch it. Oh well the guy I sold it to sold it to his Son and that is why it is here. he wants to lift it and put big tires on it. What a waste of a nice original truck. Oh well I tried telling him. I told him to spend the money and get the rust fixed first. Not listening.

titleii

If the wife wouldn't kill me I would. I had a mint 85 m1009 rust free with 32k from camp Shelby but katrina dropped a oak tree on it and turned it into a od green bananna.

cucvrus

DSCF3556.jpgDSCF3557.jpgDSCF3560.jpgDSCF3561.jpgDSCF3562.jpgDSCF3563.jpgDSCF3565.jpgDSCF3566.jpgTime to change the rear brake cylinders, brake shoes, and hardware. DSCF3558.jpgDSCF3559.jpgDSCF3560.jpgDSCF3564.jpgJust in case you ever wondered what the fluid looks like in the wheel cylinders. It is contaminated and the wheel cylinders are scored. I would recommend anyone that has not changed the wheel cylinders on their CUCV to do so soon. Less then $60. with all the brakes, cylinders and new hardware. Make sure your self adjusters are functioning also. if not replace them also about $30. more. Worth every cent of it. Safety is a simple task. Have a great day. Almost done for the day. Almost.

cucvrus

DSCF3567.jpgThis is an oddity I seen on this 1986 M1028 A1 that I had. It had rear fender braces on the back of the bed sides. I only every seen it on a few CUCV's mostly ones that were up-fitted to M1028A1 status. Ever seen them before? Not that it is anything special. But thought I would just mention it. It's a hobby thing. Guy's talking and enjoying the hobby. Get it? This M1028 A! was up-fitted in 2 1991.

cucvrus

1985 CUCV M1028 I owned it for 18 years SOLD 4 years ago

It's back. DSCF3571.jpgDSCF3572.jpgDSCF3573.jpgI had nothing to do with the lift kit or the lift kit installation. But I sold the truck 4 years ago so I have no say in how it is treated or modified. When I was ask what to do to make it look BA. I replied get a set of Goodyear LT23585R16 MTR tires and call it a day. Always worked for me. And I never had to worry about how every cop in every jurisdiction I drove thru interprets the lift kit law. I have my Pennsylvania Safety Inspection license and I would never pass it and put a sticker on it. And that's not just me. Good Luck the safety inspection runs out at the end of the month. Do I think it looks good. No reply. After spending $3500. for all the parts. I feel it was a bad investment and devalued the CUCV. The truck has a dent free body and I replaced every panel but the cab with Genuine GM parts in 2005. DSCN0736.jpgDSCN0737.jpg These 2 pictures get my vote. Sits and drives just fine. And not a cop magnet. Have a great day. Like I said. Another one bites the dust. The value of the stock ones has risen another percentile.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$3500 for a lift kit, rims and tires!!! WOW, and no thanks! If it were me and I had that much to blow on that upgrade, I still wouldn't spend it! I'd pay my mortgage down, throw that cash towards my 401K, toss it on the loan I have on my Dodge, or put a down payment on a nice travel trailer. I'm sorry, but I think that was a complete waste of money. Just my humble opinion.....

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow

Took a great looking truck and made it look like &($;$@!!
Always amazes me how guys think that actually improves the truck.

Made it ugly and devalued it.
What a tool for doing that.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one more meager observation. Those tires are VERY aggressive. They will be insanely LOUD at 55 MPH !!!!! CUCV's are loud enough! I wonder if the owner is planning on installing a kicker stereo with a 1000 watt amp to drown out the droning tires and the rattle of the 6.2 L. If he does he'll be in line for hearing aides or cochlear implants in a few years.

cucvrus

The Great M1028 Rescue

Local driver. Rich boys toy. It has been sitting in my field for about a month now. He works out of state. I never drove it or rode in it since he did the lift. Scrap as far as I am concerned at this point. Someday I picture me doing a thread on the 1985 CUCV M1028 rescue. I will use a torch and cut the u-bolts and springs off at the eye mounts. It will bring great joy to myself and many others. hopefully the scrap value is high at the time. ROFL. I think that day may come. HA HA. Tires make great play ground mulch.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF4276.jpgDSCF4277.jpgDSCF4278.jpgDSCF4279.jpgDSCF4280.jpgDSCF4281.jpgDSCF4282.jpgNeighbor stopped over and told me the 4WD don't work on my old M1028. Imagine that. I ask when the last time someone serviced the hubs. He said never. I sold the truck to his Dad about 4 years ago and they just drove it and did very little maintenance. The transmission went out after he had it a year or 2. That is just normal on the 30 year old transmission IMHO. But the Son has it now and has it all jacked up but no 4WD. What could the problem be. I am building him a set of hubs from parts I have. Also the wheel bearings need serviced real bad. Nice duct tape lock out I installed. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

Yesterday it snowed here in south central Pennsylvania. The temperatures also plummeted to the teens and low 20's. That was when my neighbor decided he needed 4WD to work. It was snowing at the time. I obliged his request. I was up for a good challenge. Why not? I went out to the barn and looked at the hubs I had removed from his truck. I also dug thru the boxes of a dozen other Warn hubs I had for parts. I was able to get him back in the 4wd mode in about a 1/2 hour. It was a field repair to get him back on the road. A serious tear down for bearing maintenance is forth coming in nicer weather. I cleaned everything up with Kroil on Q tips and grease. Then I greased and lubed the hubs / bearings and by golly it worked. The darn thing had 4WD again. Imagine that after 2 years of not having the 4WD. His Dad had ask me about it 2 years ago and I said it was the L/O's. Oh well in good time. Happy Holidays. It is always nice if you can help someone out. he ask me what he owed me I said nothing. Then he held out some moonshine whiskey oh ho. He said it was the best in all the land. And I said no no no no I don't drink it no more. I'm tired of waking up on the floor. No thank you please it only makes me sneeze. Then it makes it hard to find the door. And you know the rest of the story.

cucvrus

DSCF4379.jpgThis was the original spare tire and wheel that was under my 1985 M1028 when I bought it back in 1996 with 1900 miles on the truck. I used the tire a few times. Last week I had a flat tire on the salt spreader. I put it on and wherever I drove it made heavy black burnt rubber marks and made an air escaping sound with each revolution of the tire. If I went slow and stopped when the air was escaping it would go out fast. If I rolled forward it would not leak at all. very strange. I removed the tire and wheel from the truck when the flat was repaired and drilled 2 1/2" holes thru the side wall of this cracked tire. I was afraid to get near the tire to put air in it again. It lasted while I needed it and the wheel is currently at the tire shop getting a Goodyear Duratrak LT23585/R16 tire put on it. Merry Christmas.

NOBOLT

this thread was a treat to read.
i hope you don't have any M1028's because i would be very tempted.

Happy Thanksgiving

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks