• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 CUCV m1008 lift ideas?

Wartburg

I have a 1985 CUCV that i just got up and running. It is a beast with stock 235 85 r16. I am really wanting to lift this truck.
I have looked at different listings about this topic and talked to a few off road shops about lifts. I was wanting to go with a 38" tire I would like to keep it thin because they do a better job for me around here in the woods. I do not mind cutting the finders some (light trimming) but did not want to cut them off.
I called one of the shops about buying a kit 4" lift suspenction and a 2" body lift. The suggested a 4" tough country hd. i then read on line that the weight of the 6.2 would make it sag 1" anyway. The shop i talked to said they did not make a body lift for the Diesel engine because it cause over heating.

one of my good friends suggested a cheep lift would be to add front springs and rear blocks. please give your suggestion on lifting a CUCV 85 M1008. any cheep short cuts are welcome.

Croatan_Kid

I have the Tuff Counrt front HD springs, trust me, they won't sag for a while. I'm running 39s with 5" of front lift and 3" in the rear. Do a search, quite a few of us have lifted ours.

kennyw

First of all a body lift doesn't affect cooling... removing/modifying the fan shroud does. You can do the taurus electric fan modification to eliminate that problem though if you really like the ugly body lifts.

I run a 2" suspension lift with 37" tires and some trimming. I think it turned out pretty good. Your K30 will actually be a little taller than my K20 with the same springs too.

My pics:
http://www.crazyk5.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=525

86M10086.2L

I too am running 4inch Tuff Country HD springs up front, with 3 inch blocks in the rear. It came out great and the ride is still pretty good. I did the staggered lift to compensate for the fact that I will eventually be installing a winch up front and the srpings no matter how good the are will settle alittle over time. And I hate nose diving 4X4 pickups. I run a small tire becuase most of my driving is on the highway, and I'm was looking more for ground clearance and articulation (if a 1 ton really does that anyway) then room for huge tires. Eventually if I can ever find a set near me I'll get the Humvee rims and 36's. MY truck is being set up as a outdoor adventure turck not a hard core wheeling truck. But i do take it off road regualrly. As stated above deffinately talk to the guys over on CK5 if it's been done they know about it a dozen time over. I learned alot there.

Attachments

Alex400

Croatan_Kid said:
That truck has been the wall paper on my computer for a few years now!

They're running 37s with 4", I'm running 39s! :twisted:
well originally, they were going to use as a support rig, not a full on wheeler and I think editor David Kennedy was driving it for his DD. I have no doubt that you could get 39's under it.

gocmndo

86M10086.2L said:
I run a small tire becuase most of my driving is on the highway, and I'm was looking more for ground clearance and articulation (if a 1 ton really does that anyway) then room for huge tires. Eventually if I can ever find a set near me I'll get the Humvee rims and 36's.

After talking with Off Road Design I decided to not use the stock springs just so I could get some articulation. After lifting one of those rear leaf springs I know why I wasn't articulating very well.
Truck looks great, and when you go to the larger tires you will really enjoy driving the freeways!!

Croatan_Kid

True that!

I was driving home tonight and when my speedo says 55, I'm actually going about 67. I was cruising along very nicely, the motor was at a happy RPM with the 30% OD, and the tires hummed along nicely with no bounce or vibrations at all. My truck is very enjoyable to drive :D

msoumas

Thought I'd ask here rather than start another thread.... I've got an M1009, and may be grabbing some 36x12.5-16.5lt HMMWV tires in the near future. I'm running stock tire sizes and suspension right now, what sort of lift and what sort of $$$ will I need to make those tires fit under my truck?

FM5332FF

Lifted 12 inches, 12 inch springs in the front, 8 inch spring and 4 inch shackle flip in the rear. i still have to put the shocks on, and put a 2wd steering box on it for my cross over steering.

Dabba

sorry, but 86M10086.2L, you do that lift yourself? Im planning on 4 inches and eventually putting in a winch, let us know how you mount it.

/unhijack.

Oh i wouldnt go with liftblocks but thats just me. I beleive i was looking at the tuff country 4 inch suspenson lift.

Croatan_Kid

I wouldn't have run block in the rear either, but for a mere 3", it wasn't worth the extra work and money to get new springs. Anything more than 3" and I would have opted for springs or a shackle flip and zero rate.

FM5332FF: How wide are your rims? Those are 11.00R-16 Michelin XLs right? I'm running the same basic thing, just XZLs, but with a lot less lift. (I'm short :roll: )

Here is the lift I have come up with so far. I am still waiting for the rear 5/8" U-bolts to come in with the 4-degree wedges for the rear to give my pinion less of an angle than the 6-degree ones in now, but overall, it will give an idea of what it looks like. rather than start a new thrread, which is what i had originally planned, I decided to go with an extension of this old one, so i hope nobody minds if I hijack it.
Anyway, here is what I used for the front: Virginia 4x4 supplied the front perches which also moved the front axle forward about 2 inches. I also had to use a set of 6" shackles for the rear of the front leafs. The leaf springs themselves were made from the 52" opnes I got out of the rear of one of my M1009s, took them apart and cleaned them up, then added to small leafs I made from some larger leafs out of some extra leafs I had laying around. Drilling the holes through them was somewhat of a challenge. If you go with a cobalt drill bit, which is what I used, a moderate speed is needed. My airdrill burned up the bit faster than the cutting oil could keep up. I finally found I could use a rechargeable 1/2" drill and got the perfect speed on #2 for drilling these things. Also, on all the bare metal pieces, after removing heavy rust and grease with a wire wheel on my bench grinder, I treated them with a coat of Jasco rust reformer from Lowe's, then painted everything with Rustoleum bar-b-que black heat-resistant paint.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks