• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 CUCV M1009: Best replacement transmission

Ilikemtb999

The SM465 is not an overdrive so nothing gained over the stock TH400. As far as the rebuild cost, if they just "freshen up" the transmission then yes it will only cost between $600.00 to $800.00 . If it's a true rebuild then your looking at a minimum of $1000.00 to $1500.00 . Then if you go with the expensive performance parts it really gets scary ! Having worked at transmission shops in the past I'm very aware of all the little tricks to keep the cost down for the shop, yet still bill the owner for a rebuild. When your rebuilding for a "transmission repair only shop" your expected to rebuild 6 to 8 units a day ! There is no way you can do a total rebuild in that amount of time, yet alone a quality rebuild.

Youre gaining reliability with an sm465 and a few hundred less rpm at cruising.

you people are also under the assumption a 4l80e is going to need a rebuild when there are plenty to be had in good working order.

rustystud

Youre gaining reliability with an sm465 and a few hundred less rpm at cruising.

you people are also under the assumption a 4l80e is going to need a rebuild when there are plenty to be had in good working order.
I wouldn't say the SM465 is anymore reliable then a TH400. I've rebuilt plenty of the SM465 and TH400 transmissions and the actual cost of rebuilding is much more with the SM465. Plus there is the clutch and throw-out bearings to think about with the manual transmission. Also the pressure and wear on the engine crankshaft which the clutch gives you.
As far as getting a good running TH4L80-E goes. Every junk yard transmission I've bought has failed within a few thousand miles. Unless I have a good running vehicle to take it out of I always rebuild the transmissions. You never know what has happened to a junk yard transmission.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just completed an SM465 swap and yesterday was the first trip down the turnpike. 4.10 gears and the SM made 65 pleasurable and 70 tolerable with no power robbing mileage loss of converter slip. With all that said, it's been quite a few years since I've shaken hands with a shifter and found my knees are not as durable as they once were. If they still hurt in a year, it may get changed back but to a 700. I've had. Bunch of 6.2/ 700R4 trucks and the 6.2 just doesn't have enough power to hurt the 700.

rustystud

I just completed an SM465 swap and yesterday was the first trip down the turnpike. 4.10 gears and the SM made 65 pleasurable and 70 tolerable with no power robbing mileage loss of converter slip. With all that said, it's been quite a few years since I've shaken hands with a shifter and found my knees are not as durable as they once were. If they still hurt in a year, it may get changed back but to a 700. I've had. Bunch of 6.2/ 700R4 trucks and the 6.2 just doesn't have enough power to hurt the 700.
Since my knee replacement I don't like manuals much anymore. Plus towing a trailer and slipping the clutch and brake on a hill in busy traffic is not fun !

rustystud

I can get my hands on good take out 4L80s every day.
To bad your on the other side of the nation. Out here they come at a premium. Of course your vehicles don't last as long as ours do with all that salt on the roads. Might almost be worth it to take a trailer out there and buy up some good running TH4L80-E transmissions.
Now if you had some nice running TH6L80-E transmissions for a good price I'd be out there next week !

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since my knee replacement I don't like manuals much anymore. Plus towing a trailer and slipping the clutch and brake on a hill in busy traffic is not fun !
15/20 years ago I had a V30 crew cab with the SM465. I installed one of these as more of a gimmick.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72f87

Well, I used the heck out of that thing and will properly engineer one onto this truck. Makes taking off on steep hills a breeze as you can hold the brake with you right foot and operated the throttle with your hand.
Figure it will be so worth it come July when I move away from the flatlands.

rustystud

15/20 years ago I had a V30 crew cab with the SM465. I installed one of these as more of a gimmick.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72f87

Well, I used the heck out of that thing and will properly engineer one onto this truck. Makes taking off on steep hills a breeze as you can hold the brake with you right foot and operated the throttle with your hand.
Figure it will be so worth it come July when I move away from the flatlands.
That is a cool device ! I think I might buy one for my Deuce ! Driving around here with all the stupid hills and heavy traffic is a nightmare sometimes ! If your towing something it is even more stressful ! Now with my bad knees trying to hold in the clutch and then slip the brake and hit the throttle can be a real trial at times and I hate slipping the clutch due to all that wear your causing !