• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 m1009 alt options

wiccantoy

Pretty much the only thing I can come up with. The basic items u use after it warmed up is maxing the alternator out and when I use the light bar that is where it is going above the alts ability. Really don't know why these little things would cause all this. Which is kinda scary when I have the plow on it how its gonna react. It used to do it but id turn off the lights to keep the alt a little lower.

ODdave

The light bar isn't the only problem. I can unhook everything for it and still have issues with draw
auaauaaua

Yup, Just put a bigger alt on it, You wont need a light bar. Just a fire hose to douse the flames coming from your truck. If your drawing 135 amps YOU HAVE A PROBLEM !!!

If you dont know how to locate and fix a draw of that magnitude , Find somone more qualified.

Im not trying to be an azz but this belongs in DH's new thread.....

Barrman

I agree. Wiccantoy, please spell actual words and take the advice given above. You have a huge draw on your electrical system and need to figure out what it is. The electrical troubleshooting section of the -20 manual walks you through how to do that if you don't want to follow the advice in the post above.

wiccantoy

I agree. Wiccantoy, please spell actual words and take the advice given above. You have a huge draw on your electrical system and need to figure out what it is. The electrical troubleshooting section of the -20 manual walks you through how to do that if you don't want to follow the advice in the post above.
Yes I understand. But this is why I ask the questions. If I am not sure I question things to be on the same page. Why is everything a battle on here?

wiccantoy

I went to the guys shop that tested both alternators. Stated they were good under a load.picked up the starter he rebuilt for my men_701a. He said he had this problem before with the military. He stated we could get a different and stronger alternator. Than tested the feed wires from the battery to the junction block. And the grounds. And the other wires on the alternator..I asked him. Don't I have to have the 2 alternators matched? He said no. I told him after I go through some reading of the tm sheets and ask some people on here we could talk further.