• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 M1009 Starter going out, Atlanta area

CycleJay

Hi all,,

My M1009 starter is beginning to go out.

Where in the Atlanta, Ga area is the least expensive place to get one,
new or remanufactured/refurbished?

And how difficult is it to remove the old one, and install a new one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, God bless all of you,

CJ

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Call my buddy Denny. I know he's got a 6.2 starter or two. (They used to be mine LOL) 77O-646-8994 Just tell him I sent you. He can also swap it out for you if you're not up to it. (It's not that hard to change though)

Drew

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the truck still 24v? The going price for a new 24v Gear Ruduction on ebay is ~$100. Rebuild cost are also around $100

CGSDarkstar

Starter in Atlanta

Hey all,

I am new to SS and just got my m1009 delivered on Friday. Its been sitting at the shop every since then getting it checked over. It appears the starter is out as well . . . must be something in the atlanta air . . .

patracy, mind if I give your buddy a call as well? Otherwise it looks like a rebuild and more waiting is in order . . . 3 months to get an EUC ugh!

Thanks

DS

91W350

If you have a good alternator / starter shop, rebuilding the original is the way to go. They are bad about stripping the flexplate when the bushings get bad. Do not be surprised if they tell you the flywheel or flexplate is bad as well. Glen

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If Jay doesn't need it sure. Give Denny a call 770-646-8994. Just tell him I sent you. You'll probably have to mention it's the starter on the motor sitting in the bed of my old blue truck.

tcg528

I've got my old 24v starter just sitting around. It was on a 12v converted m1009, so I don't know if it's good or not (12v turned it way too slow to start). I've been meaning to have it checked out by a place, I'll let you guys know if you're still looking.

tcg528

Well, just called half the auto and electric shops in my town, noone has the equipment to check this starter, but 12v does turn it, albeit slowly.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you call an alternator/starter repair shop? What about a diesel repair shop for big equipment i.e. oil field equipment

tcg528

Called an Autozone, they referred me to an electric motor shop, who referred me to a construction equipment shop. Last place just didn't have the equipment to test it. I'm going to try again tomorrow with a larger radius. I'd hook up a 24v power supply and run it, but I have no idea what I'm listening/looking for. When I had it on the m1009, it turned over about as fast as a gas engine, didn't sound bad, just too slow.

zout

That is probably pretty close for a real rebuild instead of someone just changing out the bendix and calling it done.

There were other vendors around the Atlanta area I have done business with on a professional level - but they quickly went off my vendor list after getting their work returned to the shop if ya know what I mean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks