• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 Camp Shelby M1008 Restoration

rlltide12

New dual group 31 battery bracket. More to come on the actual tray.

uploadfromtaptalk1399342262226.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399342279895.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399342293765.jpg

And oh yea, not like he needs it, but shoutout to doghead. He saved my bacon with a 6tmf batry vent cap. And no, thats not a spelling mistake, thats how we say it down here haha

Last edited:

rlltide12

Dual 31s installed using artec industries dual tray. TIGHT FIT. Had to use stud top bateries rather than post to help with clearance. But it fits!

uploadfromtaptalk1399951786146.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399951817178.jpg

Drock

I'm new to this site so this is the first I've seen this thread. I've gotten ah lot of really good info from your restoration keep up the good work, and the post:beer:

rlltide12

I found it on craigslist down here in south Alabama

Edit: I forgot you are here in Alabama. Haha! It was in Enterprise

Last edited:

rlltide12

Well. The NV is in the truck. I went by aceneights thread, and it all worked out great. But my score of a deal in a transmission wasn't as good of a deal as I had hoped. It shifts like a dream and pulls good, but it is wayyy more noisy than it should be, even sitting still in neutral. After some troubleshooting, it is definitely in the transmission. So this weekend it will come out and get tore down to determine the issue. More soon to come. But for anyone debating installing one of these, the install was practically a no brainer, and I will reiterate what aceneights said. THIS IS THE WAY THEY SHOULD BE! I am very anxious to see what my fuel mileage looks like! After a 70 mile drive the fuel gauge is still above F. So that is promising. But I will have to wait until I get it repaired.

rlltide12

The pedals are a hydraulic clutch pedal set from a 1985+ Pickup, Blazer, or Suburban and directly bolt into these trucks save having to drill two holes for the clutch master cylinder, but even then there are dimples in the firewall for where to drill the holes. The real hurdle I had to jump was getting the fittings and adapters to make a hose for the clutch because the 86 Master cylinder for the clutch and the 1993 slave cylinder use two extremely different fittings. I bought a hose for a 1993 truck, cut it up because it uses 1/4" tubing and has the correct fitting for the slave on it, double flared a brake line fitting onto it, and was then able to make a hydraulic hose from there up to the master cylinder. The master cylinder uses 3/16" bubble fittings, so I had to again make an adapter to go from bubble to inverted double flare. The hose was quite the task. As for the shifter, just cut a hole in the floorboard. It was about as simple as it gets otherwise.

rlltide12

Well after a lot of headaches and pulling this transmission about 8 times, i found that my issue was not in the transmission, but was being caused by the rear driveshaft vibrating because of the severe driveshaft angle from the lift. I built a CV driveshaft and had it balenced and all my troubles are gone. This 5 speed is wonderful. Best mod yet

rlltide12

Time for a new mod. My NV4500 is still doing well knock on wood. So after spotting a 6.5TD someone had pulled with a knock on craigslist, I got the itch to turbo my truck. I was able to acquire the motor and all parts associated with the turbo to be able to use it as a kit and also have a core I can rebuild in case my 6.2 decides to bite it. I rebuilt the turbo this last weekend. The plan is to run a humble 8-10 PSI of boost. This weekend it is all going on the truck. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions or flame!