• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 cucv

aquaman79

SO after replacing the rear end on my 1986 CUCV m1009, I was driving home from the shop and all of a sudden I had coolant all of the hood and windshield. Pulled over and found no Radiator cap. I can only assume the shop that I had just had it serviced at did not put the cap back on properly and the pressure blew it off. Pretty frustrating. So I went ahead and changed out the thermostat and flushed the motor. All seams ok. I only made it a mile or so after it happened so I think everything is ok. Anyone else had this happen? Or can I chalk this one up to a poor service facility? Also, my turn signals are solid, no flashing and my speedo does not function. Is this a common problem with a quick fix or will I need to chase wires. Thanks guys I have done a ton of work on this thing since I got it and Im getting close to having only the interior left. Lastly, are there any little mods that can be done to give the engine a little more power? I looked at the Banks Turbo kit but the cost seams a bit high for the small HP/ T gain.

Joe

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!!! :) There are a lot of great resources available here!! The 6.2L was never designed to be a racing engine. I use my M1009 as a daily driver and have no problem running it at 80MPH. You could tweak the Injector Pump. There are plenty of threads on how to do this. I personally wouldn't recommend messing with the IP - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Have you read the stickies at the top of the CUCV Forum? There's a lot of great information available using the search function. Happy reading!!

aquaman79

Thanks for the responses everyone. ODFever yes I've been reading through the various stickies. Going to do the doghead relay mod next. In regards to the power upgrade, I wasn't looking to race the thing just give it a little more umph!!! When I had the rear end done the mechanic who said he was a military mechanic was showing me how they would rout an intake tube to a knock out plate near the passenger side headlight to give it a "ram Air" type system. Seamed like a straight forward upgrade was just looking to see if anyone else had made other mods like that. Again thanks for the responses.