• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1008 - Electrical Help - Acts like service lights off

Greetings,
I am new to the CUCV family! I just bought the M1008 about a month ago. I love the truck!! It takes me any where I want to go!

I recently had a problem with the right rear blinker burning out. I did a quick replacement from what I had in stock/inventory, and went on my way. I honestly did not look to see if both filaments were in the bulb... so the turn signal wasn't working but the brake was. I unbolted the lens, replaced the bulb and started her up and checked all the lights. They all seemed to work except the rear/backup lights. So I looked underneath and saw what looked like an electrical connection was undone. So I connected it backup, started the truck and had my wife sit in the truck with the brake on and put it in reverse. All the lights failed to light up. It was acting just like the service lights were off but the toggle switch was still in the upright position. So I flipped the switch down and back up again and still no lights. For some reason I tried the horn as well, and it wasn't working either.

I did pull a few fuses, and they looked clean... like the horn... so I dont know how I lost that too.

** EDIT **
The Engine starts as normal, the wipers work, and the heater works as well. Just the lights and the horn have quit functioning.

** End EDIT **

I am in a bit of a pickle needing to get this truck ready for a trip down to Houston (hurricane Ike aftermath) to help with some cleanup. The truck has an external tank for 50 gallons of gas, and it has a lift gate... things you want for cleanup work!!

I will check the TM manuals, but I thought someone might have already had this problem and knew what the easy fix was.

Thanks!
K

Bobert

RE: 1986 M1008 - Electrical Help - Acts like service lights

Welcome, this site has a lot of information.

MY m1009 had about the same problem a while ago. My lights went out one night and It was all of them. There are 3 different fuses for different lights and 2 of mine kept burning out.

I could replace them and then when I put the brakes on after I back out of the driveway they blew again.

As far as I know, my blazer doesn't have backup lights. or maybe they are super dim. Many times I've had to back out of a narrow mud hole after I got in too deep and I have to put the brakes on so they light the path. Maybe its just mine though.

My solution was a short under the front battery. I think. I unplugged the turnsignal and un twisted it and it worked so I never touched it again. I also went through and traced all the lighting wires and wiggled everything.

If something is buring out, I would look for some rubbed wires somewhere. My 30amp and 20amp were burning out.

Edit: My horn never worked so I can't help you there. I guess there is a fuse for backup lights, I will have to look into that myself.

Attachments

Thanks for the fuse box diagram... thats what I needed!! It was the Main Lights 30 amp fuse that I blew. Replaced it and got the lights and horn working again!!

Thanks for the help!

mrcucv

yeah thats an easy fix. good thing it wasnt a wire in th emain harness with a cut in it, but an hometter would tell you that no problem

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks