• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1009 Information needed

greene1564

I have a M1009 that has the 6.2 I have been told the tranny from a SBC would bolt right in place and I was wondering if other parts off a SBC would interchange like flywheel and other manual transmission parts.

Somemedic

The flywheels are different. Run a search in this section, I know its been asked before. While a fella could run a different tranny I believe the
Key difference is that trannys that come off of diiesels are vaccuum controled while other trannys are electronicly controled. Lotta crap to
Convert. You may wish to look for a 700r out of an old diesel van, burban, or pick up. Search 700r in this section (or whatever tranny u
Were gonna use, I was just assuming)

reloader64

The 3 speed automatics (TH 400) are controlled with vacuum. The early model TH 700-R4, up to 1989 (I think) are controlled with a cable from the throttle linkage. The late model 700-R4, or 4L60E, is electronically controlled. Any Chevrolet transmission will bolt to the block, but almost everything else is different on the diesel. The 700-R4 is a good choice, with the correct flywheel and torque converter, and an aftermarket torque converter controller, to control converter lockup.

Scott

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks