• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1028A2

jayg48anglia

A nice unimproved M1028A2. I purchased from a SS member 2 years ago in Virginia. I store it in a heated garage and it is put away for the winter. Life has changed can't take it with me.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

jayg48anglia

Add it to MV of the month.
New trucks are $80,000 that will carry two ton.
Thee 1986 M1028A2 is one of only 300 made.
Thank you for the information. It is a great runner and a survivor. I do have some videos however at my age I have trouble posting anything. I have learned that the 1st civilian owner passed in November. He was a great wealth of information and became a great friend. Thanks.

jayg48anglia

Thank you for the information. It is a great runner and a survivor. I do have some videos however at my age I have trouble posting anything. I have learned that the 1st civilian owner passed in November. He was a great wealth of information and became a great friend. Thanks.
Does anyone have in writing about the M1028A2 being 1 of 300? Probably would be the first thing someone would ask. LOL!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have in writing about the M1028A2 being 1 of 300? Probably would be the first thing someone would ask. LOL!
Likewise, I'd still like to see some documentation on the number converted, as I have also heard 500. Regardless of which is correct, they were relatively few in number.

You may already know this, but all the CUCV duallys for the military were converted from existing single rear wheeled trucks. GM produced a kit that included everything needed.
M1028A2s were converted from M1028A1 and M1031 and have the NP205 transfer case.
M1028A3s were converted from M1028 and have the NP208 transfer case.

My M1028A2 was an originally an M1031 and was modified at Tooele in October 1991. Your vehicle should have the original data plate (the NSN on it will tell you what the truck started out as) and a modification data plate (which came as part of the kit).

Cheers

data tag 1.JPG0000000000000000000000000  champ 2.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Courtesy of CUCVFan, here is what came in the dually modification kit.

Fenders and all other GM dually parts, the fiberglass parts and other metal panels, and marker lights
Data plates
Front hubs and seals
Dana 70HD axle
New driveshaft
New proportioning valve
Rear swaybar kit (new perches, u-bolts, end links and frame brackets)
New side mirrors
Wheels (all six), wheel lug rings, rear spacers for between the wheels, lug nuts, screw-in valve stems
A template for cutting the bed in the right spot for the conversion.

All necessary hardware (right down to rivets for the data plates).

Reference the mention of new side mirrors - the dually truck mirrors had slightly longer arms than the stock military mirrors, and the passenger side was convex. That said, most of the duallys I've seen, including mine, did not have the longer mirrors on them.
I did find an NOS set in a junkyard recently, when I repaint my truck from tan to 383, the new mirrors will get installed.

Attached are some pictures of most of the military kit components. If I can figure out who I got them from, I'll give them credit. ;)

Cheers

Full Kit.JPGParts 3.JPGParts 1.JPGParts 2.JPGParts 4.JPGmirror extended.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks