• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 th400 Not Shifting Up/Late Shifting

dom1986ck30

Aloha, My Truck is not shifting up until 35+ for 2nd and 50+ for 3rd. Not good for Tranny. I have opened up and checked shift relay/down shift switch. I have checked governor. Both good. took them to a few shops. Replaced Modulator. 4 times, due to the fact that I don't care for aftermarket parts, nor trust them. I have replaced Vacuum Pump. I have a steady 24 at the gauge. I also have a steady 12 at the Modulator rubber connection. All rubber is new. The only part that I am wondering is the Vacuum Regulator at the Vacuum Pump to Modulator connecting/transfer point. I know there is a procedure to adjust and set the Regulator to the Fuel. I suppose the question that I have is... Can the regulator be bad if it is transferring the Vacuum Pumps 24 on the gauge to giving/delivering 12 on the gauge to the Modulator??? If there is any other hints to my situation of resolving my late shifting, please LMK... Mahalo, Dom.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Does the vacuum at the VRV (device on the IP) vary the vacuum going to the modulator? It's purpose it to duplicate the vacuum levels that a gas engine would generate at various throttle positions. Low vacuum= harsh shifts at high RPM. 12 is kinda low.

dom1986ck30

Mahalo for getting back to me NDT, and Happy New Year!!! So I have 24in.hg at the Vacuum Pump. 12in.hg coming out the VRV. Is it sounding like a bad VRV? Adjustment necessary to the throttle? Because if I connect straight from the Vacuum Pump to the Modulator (Which is not advised), it shifts better but not how it should. Maybe the vacuum VRV is not changing or converting as I throttle on down the road. Maybe a consistent 12in.hg is not how it works. It needs to change vacuum as the throttle changes. Which is something I am not sure of.

dom1986ck30

Also, I have played with the VRV by moving towards the firewall and towards the radiator. I have played with (2) turns at a time with the Modulator. Again, I went through a few Modulators as to not let that be the $20 problem.

dom1986ck30

How should I check if vacuum is "Varying" at the VRV? By moving it while it is running and hooked up to a gauge? Attach gauge after the VRV(On the way to Modulator)?

rustystud

First off I would disconnect the vacuum modulator hose and run the truck and see how it shifts. It should shift like "right now !" . BAM, BAM, BAM. If it doesn't then the problem is in the transmission. If it does (shift right away) then your getting "to much" vacuum to the modulator valve. Then you need to check the "VRV" for proper function.

dom1986ck30

Okay. I disconnected the Modulator and took it for a spin. Doesn't shift "Right Now". It still shifts late and hard. I am realizing that tranny removal is necessary but I don't understand how it can shift even when the Modulator is disconnected. Seems like Modulator is not as important for functionality. Cause it still drove the same.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty, I thought disconnecting the modulator would result in high rpm hard shifts, or no shifts st all. Full vacuum to the modulator should result in shifts at low rpm.

dom1986ck30

Aloha Rusty and Happy New Year... So with that being said... should I try to check for "Variance" in VRV? Do I hook to Vacuum "Out" to Modulator while engine running and VRV loose? With VRV loose, I can move forward and back and watch in.hg? Just thinking...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that tells me the transmission is fine, the VRV is not VRVing or is way out of adjustment.

dom1986ck30

NDT, I like the sound of that. I mean its not a big deal to me to replace/rebuild tranny... just down time. Wanna have fun... and use the truck. So should I focus my energy on the Throttle and VRV synchronizing etc...? #TM... .646 spacing at the Throttle with the advised in.hg at the VRV?

rustystud

Rusty, I thought disconnecting the modulator would result in high rpm hard shifts, or no shifts st all. Full vacuum to the modulator should result in shifts at low rpm.
Yes your correct. When the vacuum modulator receives no or low vacuum it thinks the engine is at WOT (wide open throttle) . The governor weights then controls all upshifts. I must have been having a "fuzzy brain" moment ! Probably just took my pain pills.

rustystud

Another thing to look at is the modulator itself. Is it an "adjustable" unit ? You can see a small slotted screw inside the hose connection (remove hose and look inside) . If it is adjustable then try and screw in or out the adjuster. Moving the screw in will increase modulator pressure. Moving the screw out will decrease the modulator pressure. Experiment with it and see if the shift points don't get better.

rustystud

If I do full vacuum at Modulator, it shifts quickly. (Vacuum Pump straight to Modulator, bypassing VRV.)
I should have read all the posts before posting ! I see the VRV pump is out of wack. I agree with NDT and try and adjust it.
I also see your in the "Northshore" area. I have family living in the "Waimanalo" area. My wife was born there.

dom1986ck30

Well I am in the adjustment of the VRV stage. I have played with it. I have (2) Gages. One for pulling vacuum from bottom port of VRV and one reading for 8"hg from Top To Modulator/Transmission. I am still in confusion. I am thinking other possible issues. Shifting still not right. Something just popped out of placement when I was driving one day. Problems getting it back. I have proper vacuum at the sources. Dumbfounded... Tranny? But I still have gears... Timing Chain? But I don't feel or hear anything. It still drives fine... Just won't shift properly... ****!!!

rustystud

Well I am in the adjustment of the VRV stage. I have played with it. I have (2) Gages. One for pulling vacuum from bottom port of VRV and one reading for 8"hg from Top To Modulator/Transmission. I am still in confusion. I am thinking other possible issues. Shifting still not right. Something just popped out of placement when I was driving one day. Problems getting it back. I have proper vacuum at the sources. Dumbfounded... Tranny? But I still have gears... Timing Chain? But I don't feel or hear anything. It still drives fine... Just won't shift properly... ****!!!
Did you try and adjust the modulator on the transmission ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks