• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1991 BMY M923A2 loses heat when temp gauge hits 200 degrees

Ford Mechanic

Well that's the stat that was in there when I opened it up... probably the same as in yours
I think your right, but it was replaced by a different design. I belive the one I replaced it with looked like the other one shown in the pic a couple post back. So far so good I've put alot of miles on it, it was before the Graves mountain rally on Labor day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ford Mechanic

If the timing cover has been replaced at any point it may not be there anymore.

The tag will be just above the IP.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was at NAPA tonight and was going to get the one that's supposed to be the compatible to the Cummins OEM stat, and I had my housing with me just to be sure it fit properly... and IT DIDN'T! Guess I'm getting mine straight from Cummins

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was at NAPA tonight and was going to get the one that's supposed to be the compatible to the Cummins OEM stat, and I had my housing with me just to be sure it fit properly... and IT DIDN'T! Guess I'm getting mine straight from Cummins

What is the number on the thermostat you used? or attempted to see would fit.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CPL...Control Parts List. It lists the performance parts, pistons, cam, head, injectors. CPL identification has gone the way of the DoDo, ESN is how everything is tracked now in Cummins parts system, until someone come in with an engine made before 1980 :roll:

The site is back up... cool! I returned the stats I got at NAPA and went with the OEM Cummins 3913028. Turns out there's a Cummins distributor like 7 miles from my house. I'll be putting it all back together on Sunday, so we shall see....

Tonight it's not too cold here YET and the motivation kicked in, so I yanked the water pump off the beast just to see what she looked like, and it looks pretty foul. Lots of crusty formations on the impeller blades, and having it out in my hands, it's NOT spinning as smoothly and freely as it seemed it was while it was still mounted and I spun it by hand, so a no-brainer here - REPLACE IT.

IMG_0525.jpg IMG_0526.jpg IMG_0527.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tonight it's not too cold here YET and the motivation kicked in, so I yanked the water pump off the beast just to see what she looked like, and it looks pretty foul. Lots of crusty formations on the impeller blades, and having it out in my hands, it's NOT spinning as smoothly and freely as it seemed it was while it was still mounted and I spun it by hand, so a no-brainer here - REPLACE IT.

View attachment 660074 View attachment 660075 View attachment 660076
You can get most of the junk in the system out with this stuff. You also should pull any coolant access covers and clean them out.20161230_084552.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those pumps don't spin freely, they are tight. If the impeller is in tact, looks good in the pic, and there is nothing in the weep hole, it is fine. But it is your money. There are two types of Restore. One removes grease/oil/gelling and the other is a de-scaler.