• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1991 Suburban front grill on a CUCV

DrJekl

The only differences I found in the harness:
1991 harness does not have the temp sensor wire. (added)
1991 harness has the wiper washer wires in the headlamp harness (white and red, removed)
1991 harness has two light blue and two dark blue as stated previously. (tied these together)
1991 harness does not have the black out marker and drive light. This is a given but thought I'd mention it. I am not using the BO markers in the new bumper and the drive light housing is where the plug for my winch pickle is housed. (capped the wires coming from the CUCV front light harness plug)
1991 harness uses different color wires for the horn as stated. (spliced the CUCV horn and 1991 horn together)

Horn number two goes in the same area the slave receptical goes.

The overflow bottle has a mount the base of the bottle goes into on the CUCV core support.

Slave leads that go through the core support have to be rerouted so they do not interfere with the new turn signal light on the right side.

All are small issues to fix. My current delay is the radiator. The one I had serviced came back missing the nipple for the over flow bottle and I did not notice it until I had the radiator installed. It came back out and is back at the shop getting fixed again. My fan shroud was tore up on the bottom so I grabbed another from the shop and will replace it.

Bacially I have to route the temp sensor wire, plug in the harness to the firewall, finsih the radiator, get my WVO filter system back in, cut the new grill for the slave recepticle, and get all the little things tied in. Should be in business this weekend if all goes well.

No, I don't have photos just yet.

DrJekl

Right now the radiator is kicking my butt. The radiator shop left off the nipple for the overflow then I noticed the petcock is missing. Little rat turds that stop everything.

Last night I cut the grill for the slave cable. Today I am putting everything back together and will post photos!

DrJekl

Added pics to the initial post on page one. I still need to paint the grill to match the truck and fix two titties on the head light grills and the low beam lights are dead so I need to grab two new ones. Other than that, I think I am tracking!

I did take your advice and install electric fans. Also installed a seperate oil radiator from a 99 Chevy with 6.5L turbo diesel. I am also going to install a transmission oil cooler and a power steering fluid cooler. I will change the oil this week when I get back from Hunter Army Air Field.

My horn never worked right before and the problem transfered so I have the horn hooked up right! Where is the horn relay on an 86 CUCV (assuming it has one)?

So far, I think it went well though it took longer than I had planned.

jdeoliveira74

I did a quick search and did not find any references. If my search skills just suck, let me know!

For all of your hard core guys that think I am committing sin and should have my head removed with a rusty knife, my truck, deal with it! :popcorn:

Anyway, I picked up a front grill from a 1991 Suburban and I am going to put it on my 86 M1031 CUCV truck. I think that front grill assembly looks great so I am going to do this!

My radiator was seeping and I just got my spare serviced and ready to install so no better time than the present.

The radiator support is out and needs to be cleaned and POR-15'd. I'll get that in then get the grill painted and cut for the slave recepticle. I am using the black out light as a plug for my winch so it may go away altogether to keep from having to cut more of the grill out.

I'll get some pics up ASAP. The weather blows and I have a CJ5 in the garage right now so my space is limited.

Off the the car wash tomorrow! POR-15 tomorrow night, then paint, and I hope to have the old core support out in a few days.

Attached are photos of the current front end and the grill assembly on the doner Suburban.
Dude that looks awesome... NICE job the bumper and push bar are really cool also were they also a junk yard find? The front bumper on mine is bend and I have been look for alternatives that would go nicely

DrJekl

I guess not because if I had I would probably not asked the question. You should get this one placed on top with the FAQ and Doghead thread. Thanks! Very helpful photos.

The center part of the bumper , the cow pusher part, came out of the junk yard. The main part of the bumper is the rear bumper from a Jeep CJ-10a. Center is a HMMWV winch mount. Top and ends are sheet metal stock.

I'll get this wrapped up this week and new pics posted when I get back home.

Last edited:

DrJekl

Well, my grill has a lot of small pieces broken off and it does not secure like I want it to so I need to find another grill.

If you do this, the overflow bottle for the radiator in the CUCV has a support comming off the core support. This is held in place by a rivet and one of the bolts that attaches the wheel well to the core support. The bracket is sandwitched between. I did not look at this before putting in the support and had I spent the time to do so, I could have just installed it back the same way. It sits fine just sandwitched in with the bolt through it. Like I said, if you do this, yank your bottle support from your old core support and rivet it on before you put the 91 core support in.

My outside lights were dead so I replaced them. Inside lights have water in them so I need to change them out too.

Attachments

DrJekl

Okay, I thought I screwed the pooch on this deal when I got the new lights in and fired them up. In 1988 on four head lamp systems, you only get the outside lamps on low, and only the inside lights on high, not all four at the same time. So, the little relay kit below gets all four lights in the mix!

4-Headlight Kit

I thought I was a shoe in for an impact dumba55 award with oak leaf cluster on this one! I used to give those out until one of my little punk a55 cry baby Soldiers went to the IG. I was found guilty of "not treating Soldiers with dignity and respect". It was meant to be a joke but these little bastards coming in the Army not get their little feeling hurt way too easy.

DrJekl

The Chevy grill had too many broken parts on it so I bought a new one off eBay. I went with the GMC grill because it looks a lot better. The GMC grill actually works better because of the location of the slave receptical. I ran out of the correct color green paint so it is black and brown and I am also putting in a reinforcement bar in the grill where I cut out the spot for the slave receptical hole. The GMC grill will go with the GMC tail gate on the new bed! All I need is a little GMC emblem for the dash and I'll have the only old style 91 GMC CUCV truck on the block! **** yeah!

The pics below are the Chevy grill in the truck and the new GMC grill before I started cutting.

I need to pick up some of the plastic inserts for the screws. My old grill has a bunch of tabs broken so I did not have enough for the new grill. My original grill has some of the inserts so I'll grab those and I'll be in business. That and some green 383 paint and I'm good.

Attachments

DrJekl

OKay, I am about there. had some paint issues that I need to do over. The lights work fine. I have the harness en route for powering the lights from the battery and makes all four lights on when on bright. If that is not enough light I can fire up the KCs!

The only issue I had with the grill is that two holes for the screw inserts are too big and I need to buy some replacements one size larger. The rest were the same as the original. One hole did not want to line up.

I need to find a spot for the second horn. The passenger side horn mounts where the slave recepticle is so there is no space for it. The transmission and oil cooler radiators take up some other free space. I just need to bed the horn bracket so it can be bolted down some place.

My horn relay was smoked. And by that I mean a hole was burned in the side of it. My horn has never really worked and I never took the time to track it down. The blocking diode is shorted out so it was providing a hot wire to the horn all the time. The diode is going to be a biatch to put back in. Does anyone know if it is necessary or can you just chuck it out?

Here is what it looks like today. I need a big old red GMC emblem to stick in there. or maybe a Pontiac arrow since I am running an old Pontiac Custom Sport steering wheel from my old 74 GTO. I am sure that would pi55 some people off! WOuld it be a CheviacMC M1031?

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great..[thumbzup]

I may have a spare GMC emblem for you. I will check tonight.

Last edited:

DrJekl

If anyone needs to know, the diode is a blocking diode used to protect other systems that may be used on board the truck like radios and flux capacitors. Not needed. Clip it and drive on.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked the GMC grill today. The emblem is molded into the grill. It isn't separate.